Estonian man murdered in Soi 15, Walking Street, Pattaya

wonderlust

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember any large bouncer in either Angelwitch or What's Up, which are the main bars on Soi 15. Can't remember any hassle when poking my head into either and not sitting down. In fact, I'll often stand there scanning the bar for my spec and, if it isn't there, leave without sitting. Don't remember any hassle.

The story doesn't reflect well on anyone, does it?

1. The tourists going back for more. :shakehead

2. The tourist police not getting off their arses (Soi 15's within about 30 feet of them!) :shakehead

3. 15 Thais setting on 3 guys. :shakehead

There seems to be a common thread here that if something bad happens, it's always partly the fault of the victim for not knowing how bad Thailand can be.

Sorry, I think it's 100% the fault of the Thai's and a system that has obviously let them get away with this.

But then, if a girl wears a short dress, it was her fault for being raped too?

Crime is the fault of the criminal, people deserve the right to walk through a internationally known tourist spot without falling pry to touts for show bars regardless if they are silly enough to think a show will happen for free.

Things only get better if you refuse to accept the inequities and want to change them.

I was walking down my Soi to Fortune yesterday and a Farang on the back of a motorbike saw me and smiled and nodded, obviously a newbie as any veteran in Thailand knows to ignore the other Farang.

I was walking down my Soi to Fortune yesterday and a Farang on the back of a motorbike saw me and smiled and nodded, obviously a newbie as any veteran in Thailand knows to ignore the other Farang.

Nothing to do with the dress you were wearing... :dunno:

Agree to a point but I still think a lot of tourists have this "dumb farkin asian" attitude and think they can just walk all over them.

I think that in a lot of cases is why the police a reluctant to assist them when they become victims of crime.

Unfortunately the minority sets the norm for the majority.

So he's thinking "dumb farkin Asian" because he refuses to continue to get scammed in a show bar and wants to complain, then gets knifed, dies? Lost me on that one!

It was a nice dress, OH tried to borrow it.

My reading of it is (and I may be incorrect) the scamming had finished, the victims had walked away and spoken to the tourist police and then later gone back to extract revenge.

I am not condoning the perps in any way but in a lot of cases victims ask to be victims, they could have quite easily walked in the opposite direction and laughed it off but they went back looking for trouble and were the architects of their own misfortune.

The assailents were scum, granted but the victims may have antagonised the situation, never poke a tiger with the blunt end of a dirty stick unless you visit a zoo in the states.

No it's the "however they decided to take matters into their own hands and went back to confront the Thai men." part I am referring to.

My Estonian house guest seems to think they were Russian based on their names. He checked it out on an Estonian news site.

Could be. When Stalin annexed the Baltic states in the 1940s, he moved in hundreds of thousands of Russian settlers to ensure control. Lots of them still there, which doesn't exactly please the Lithuanians, Latvians and Estonians.

Irrelevant about this incident, but explains the Russian names.

Archived