'Puppet Cabinet' warned

Flashermac

THE NATION

4 Feb 2008

Four sectors of society will rebel if Thaksin and former Thai Rak Thai figures pull strings

A leading political action group yesterday warned that the apparent "puppet" status of the Samak government would be its undoing and predicted the administration could soon come under pressure from four sectors of society.

The Campaign for Popular Democracy called the Cabinet of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, which has yet to be officially announced, a "puppet Cabinet" due to alleged connections between several prospective ministers and more superior elements who are not entitled to hold legitimate official posts.

CPD secretary-general Suriyasai Katasila said most Cabinet members would be nominees of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is facing charges for alleged corruption, or leaders of factions from the dissolved Thai Rak Thai Party who have been banned from politics for five years.

These people would "pull the strings" from outside Government House, he said.

"The decision making will be mostly outside Government House - both inside and outside the country, unlike past Cabinets," Suriyasai said.

"We see several Cabinet members will have to wait for orders from those who are in power."

Suriyasai also warned that economic problems caused by populist policies of the former Thai Rak Thai regime as well as political woes could prompt the four groups to demonstrate against the government.

He said the CPD believed the Samak coalition's term would be shorter than that of the Surayud government because problems from past policies would emerge and bring it down.

The government would definitely face strong protests if it fails to find concrete measures to resolve problems within five months, he said.

The rural folk or farmers would be the first group to rally because populist policies by the Thaksin government had placed them deep in debt, Suriyasai said.

The government also faces protests from workers seeking higher pay and improved welfare to offset inflation and a higher cost of living.

The middle class, who are most affected by the worsening US credit crisis and a global economic slowdown, would also protest if their situation deteriorated.

Link

statement seems to come from a new fraction of the former PAD of Sonthi Limthongkul, who started protests against Thaksin long before the Coup took place.

in many points they are right but the protest would not start from the rural people and the workers...

<< CPD secretary-general Suriyasai Katasila said most Cabinet members would be nominees of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is facing charges for alleged corruption, or leaders of factions from the dissolved Thai Rak Thai Party who have been banned from politics for five years.

These people would "pull the strings" from outside Government House, he said. >>

Looks clear enough to me.

The same person/people every "voter" knew was involved, as every newspaper media outlet in Thailand kept saying during the election, and before, and after and STILL the majority voted as per the government being formed this week.

NOTHING here is a surprise to anyone, especially those who democratically voted for it, knowing EXACTLY what their votes meant.

My post was at the irony of ignoring the obvious fact that the vast majority, dare I say 99% knew exactly what/WHO they voted for, WHO had set up PPPP etc.

Those who voted for the other coalition party members also knew exactly what they where doing and what the outcome would be.

You may not like the result, but it was democracy in action.

No strings being pulled - politics as usual in Thailand, as a friend said, we've gone back to 1995 in his estimation, I tend to agree, glad the un democratic coup is over, glad people are voting for who THEY want regardless what Farangs who can't vote say, and I wish we'd wait and see if Samak stuffs things up so we can bitch about something concrete rather than the past.

As per the banned TRT members, some good to be gone, however also it means all the dinsoaurs of the past in position of power, hence why my mate said we're back in 1995.

Crap - I sound like Nana Hunter

Archived