Free health care for all?

Flashermac

Now with over 7M unemployed in the USA, that adds to the uninsured!

One can not afford health insurance on the meager unemployment pay!

Plus, that farkin gov taxes the skimpy unemployment pay WTF...like stealing from a blind man!!!

Nancy Pelosi wants to tax individuals' retirement funds too, plus there are proposals for a national sales tax (VAT) on top of everything else. Hey, they've gotta have more money, the way they keep spending it. (God forbid Congress should take a cut in pay.)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fair and even generous salary - members of Congress get paid the same as enlisted members of the US military. Freshmen Congressmen get the same pay as an E-3. As they gain seniority, they can move up to NCO pay levels. Why the hell should a politician get paid more than the people they expect to do their dirty work?

:beer:

Plus as it is now they get to give themselves pay hikes whenever they feel like it. Um ... have you ever had a job like that? The Thai Ministry of Universities hasn't increased foreign lecturers since 1992! :cussing:

Setting an example:

<< The First U.S. Congress voted to pay George Washington a salary of $25,000 a year, about $566,000 in 2008 terms. Washington, already a wealthy man, refused to accept his salary; however, he asked for his living expenses to be covered. Theodore Roosevelt spent his entire $50,000 salary on entertaining guests at the White House. [color:red]John F. Kennedy donated his salary to charities.[/color] >>

<< [color:red]Before passage by Congress of the Former Presidents Act (FPA) in 1958, retired Presidents did not receive a pension.[/color] All living Presidents in 1959 began to receive a pension of $25,000 per year, an office and a staff. The pension has increased numerous times with Congressional approval. Retired Presidents now receive a pension based on the salary of the current administration's cabinet secretaries (Executive Level I), which is $191,300 as of 2008. >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States#Salary

And then there is multi-millionaire John McCain who takes his military pension of $58k/yr. Not that he did not earn it, but questionable ethics for a guy who's campaign slogan was "Country First!"

Many more like him, he's just the first one to pop into my mind.

Cheers,

SD

Chamlong Srimuang is an odd one. When he was elected Bangkok's governor, he refused to accept his salary - saying he already had an Army pension. Chamlong was quite a different person before he got hooked on with Sondhi. :(

True that! He was a good guy. While I support the rank-n-file yellow cause of ridding the gummint of corruption, I can't support Sondhi... I'd like to believe that Chamlong was there for the reason I stated (and was using Sondhi as a means to an end, as most of the average yellows that I know personally were), but dunno.

Cheers,

SD

Archived