Another Canadian shot dead

colorwolf

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you say Chuck, classic story but unfortunatley the ending of this one resulted in a loss of life.

I don't know the actual figures, but there must be thousands of expats working in Oil n Gas in the Middle East and Africa who are based in Thailand, at a rough estimate I know at least 200, having been involved in the same game myself for the past 20 years.

Myself I was a victim, but not as bad as the Canadian in this article, I was the classic case of 2-3 months away / 1 month at home, ex BG Trophy wife etc etc etc you all know the similar stories.

I ditched the bitch back in '99 and walked away from approx 1.25 Millo Baht of property at the time, since then she married an American and went to the states, graduated from college and had a kid. She divorced him, took 50% of what he had and gets paid alimony for her son now she is back in Thailand. In retrospect I got off very light with my 1.25. I am not paying through the nose monthly like the American and I am still alive unlike the poor Canuk.

I'd like to add that in my own experiences approx 85% of the guys I know who have married a girl that they met in the farang orientated nightlife are quite content with life, it is only the bad stories that sell papers / make forums interesting.

Yes rip offs, scams and even murders happen in Thai-Farang relationships, there is no denying that fact, it also happens in the West so it is not a unique Thai thing. Another unfortunate case of greed.

Similar story myself...got in deep but fortunately never married her. Which is why she found a guy who would. Can't totally blame her. I didn't just have a girlfriend, I had my own hill tribe...what a dreamer...Lord Jim that was me. Interesting experience in retrospect and it did me good.

Amazing though how some Thais think they can just bump a guy off and get away with it. The wife must have been an obvious suspect.

As you say Chuck, classic story but unfortunatley the ending of this one resulted in a loss of life.

I don't know the actual figures, but there must be thousands of expats working in Oil n Gas in the Middle East and Africa who are based in Thailand, at a rough estimate I know at least 200, having been involved in the same game myself for the past 20 years.

Myself I was a victim, but not as bad as the Canadian in this article, I was the classic case of 2-3 months away / 1 month at home, ex BG Trophy wife etc etc etc you all know the similar stories.

I ditched the bitch back in '99 and walked away from approx 1.25 Millo Baht of property at the time, since then she married an American and went to the states, graduated from college and had a kid. She divorced him, took 50% of what he had and gets paid alimony for her son now she is back in Thailand. In retrospect I got off very light with my 1.25. I am not paying through the nose monthly like the American and I am still alive unlike the poor Canuk.

I'd like to add that in my own experiences approx 85% of the guys I know who have married a girl that they met in the farang orientated nightlife are quite content with life, it is only the bad stories that sell papers / make forums interesting.

Yes rip offs, scams and even murders happen in Thai-Farang relationships, there is no denying that fact, it also happens in the West so it is not a unique Thai thing. Another unfortunate case of greed.

Sad part is, all the money your ex has/will get will never be enough, her constant insecurity/misery is your best revenge!

As for guys marrying "Night life girls" I would say it is in my experience 50-50% happy/not happy. of the 50% or so that failed fast, or failed later, a lot of it was as much the guys fault cheating, gambling, drinking/slacking off on the family etc... of the 50% that are happy, some of them are being worked and are either ignorant of it, or are in complete denial. As I always say, marriage is ALWAYS a crap shoot at best, on a good day.

My ex did OK....all she got from me was a TV, a Honda Dream and a new roof for the family house....they chose to go with asbestos, yuk. The guy she found instead of me is rich. I have no hard feelings about it. The scars have healed. Good luck to her. Actually she wasn't ever the problem...it was all her poor relatives. I couldn't support a whole Karen village.

Actually, she was the problem because she should have shielded you from all the outreached palms. :soapbox:

Very complicated family situation shygye. No father, her mother was dying...she had three married sisters all with kids and useless husbands. Seemed like everybody in the village needed some kind of medicine. One reason I liked Duan was because she did what she could for them. But I couldn't commit to it. Plus...let's tell the whole story...I already had a wife and kids in farangland. I knew she'd met a rich guy because she told me. He wanted to marry her. I said go for it.

Archived