Burapa Bike Week - a pictorial

rookie

I'd never been to a motorcycle show before. Early last week I heard about the 5th annual Burapa Bike

Week, an event held last Friday and Saturday at the Pattaya Sports Stadium. A friend said it's a fun event; I had my doubts thinking a bunch of cyclists from all over Thailand and SE Asia wouldn't mix very well. I grew up in Los Angeles, and the notorious Hell's Angels motorcycle club started there.

My concerns were for naught. In the two days I attended the event I never saw any fights or trouble. It was a very peaceful and fun event!

I went to the event Friday afternoon, it was held in the large park area outside of the Stadium. I heard that past Bike Weeks had thousands of visitors and at least 3,000 bike were ridden there. The majority of bikes were Harley's...vintage, new and custom bikes. A number riders were displaying their club colors, wearing leathers and related biker clothing. That afternoon the show was not yet crowded...but attendance grew as the day wore on. The ulmination of the event was Saturday night...and as I later found out....that's party time!!

Sign at the entrance

BikeWeekSign.jpg

Lots of displays and stands for food, equipment and apparel were being set-up.

stand-food-goods.jpg

Some of the early entertainment. Maybe they were stoneage or primitive bikers?

entertainers.jpg

The majority of bikes displayed were Harley's. A dealer displayed this new model. It only costs

1.5 million Baht! I think I'd rather spend such a sum on obtaining a condo or house!!

Heritagesofttail.jpg

There were many vintage Harley's on display. I think they were vintage but I don't know squat

about Harleys...except they are the only bike designed which has the most efficient way to convert

gasoline into noise without the adverse side effect of horsepower. ;-)

classics3.jpg

classics2.jpg

classics1.jpg

classics.jpg

Here's a vintage look-alike. Not a vintage bike...it had a belt drive, but the siren was cool.

vintagelook.jpg

You need _long_ arms to ride this one! Bizarre. It had lights in the skull's eyes which blinked while

the bike's fan cooled the engine down.

long-arms-needed.jpg

There were a number of custom bikes on display. The anodyzed metal finish on this one was unusual.

nice-anodyzing.jpg

You can't start 'em too young! This kid was basking in the attention from onlookers. Pretty cool!

starting-young.jpg

There were very few off-road 'dirt-bikes' there, but this was my choice for the Best Off-Road Vehicle

at the show. And only 1-HP! Maybe that's because I feel more confident riding a horse compared

to my somewhat limited experience biking off-road ;-)

best-off-road-vehicle.jpg

I re-visited Bike Week Saturday mid-day. The crowds had swelled slightly. I again went

back that evening...and WOW!!

The parking lot at the Sports Stadium was _completely_ full of cars; I'd been to events at

the Stadium before and each time the lot was only partially filled. There were two parking aisles

that were blocked off. One was filled with dozens of those **#**!! cars laden with sound systems,

with each vehicle trying to exceed the others dB's; the other lane had bike stunt riders displaying

front and rear wheel wheelies, no hands or feet riding, and other bike acrobatics.

As I entered the show area, I was overwhelmed. I would guess that there was maybe 20,000

people there and at least 7,000 or more visitor bikes parked everywhere.

Sound cars..they were on both sides of the single parking aisle. Due to the loudness most of the

onlookers stood slightly away from the cars. Of course, Pattaya's monster sound truck, with it's

most intrusive sound system was there. Damn I hate that vehicle...only those with hearing loss

might appreciate it!

Sound-car.jpg

sound-car-big.jpg

Entrance

Bike-Week-sign-night.jpg

All pathways were jammed with attendees. It was elbow to elbow in order to get around.

aisles-packed.jpg

The many display areas were lighted

displays-lite.jpg

There were a few small stages with muscians

small-stage.jpg

And the BIG stage, which was packed with party revelers

large-stage.jpg

And bikes were parked everywhere there was a space; there was some large areas which were

virtual seas of bikes. Small camping tents dotting the area, which the event personnel and display

workers used for overnights.

sea-of-bikes.jpg

Beer was flowing, everyone was gawking or partying...

Later in the evening the effects of the beer were

obvious...at the toilets, there were two lines of people 30+ deep waiting to get into their

respective rest rooms. No doubt a few of them didn't get in line soon enough ;-)

One doesn't need a bike to attend...just show up. It was a party night!! BURP!!

And, best of all....there was no admission fee...the event is free...plus the proceeds

from renting space for display stands and food & apparel venues goes

to help local charities.

-Rookie

:thumbup: Excellent report Rookie.

I usualy stay in Pattaya for the weekend of the Burapa show and go there with a few of the Jesters, unfortunately business trips mean I was out of the Country for this years.

From the pic this years looks the biggest yet!

Archived