Passenger Had Box Cutter In Hollowed-Out Book

Flashermac

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nder how many years he will get for having a Bible? Shit, there are so many things you can get arrested that if they wanted to, they could arrest everybody.

What are you talking about? The dude was caught carrying a concealed weapon through airport security! Hate America if you must but there is no excuse for letting your hatred render you stupid.

I take public transport in LA on the way to work. I park and ride a bus at the depot. I carry a small knife in my bag. Just something I grew up doing all my life riding busses and subways as a kid. It was just something every kid carried growing up as a precaution.

Anyway, I used the same bag as a carry on to a trip back to Philly for a funeral last summer and forgot the knife was squirreled away in some small inner pocket. I got on the plane but on the way back the inspector at the x ray machine called me back and they found it.

I was shocked and scared at what may happen and d I tried to explain I forgot about it and it was not my intent to carry it onboard. Thankfully, they just kept it and let me go on my way. I shudder to think what could have happened otherwise.

Okay, I'm gonna get roasted over a fire for this but I think a lot of the conditions of county and state prisons (and a growing number of federal) are violating the 'cruel and unusual' aspect of the constitution.

I'm not from the school of 'you deserve whatever happens to you in prison'. I'll admit to having a bit of sadistic pleasure knowing some pedo or rapist or serial killer will be repeatedly beaten and/or raped in prison like everyone else.

However, truth is, if you're in there for some non violent offense such as having too much pot, a suspended license or the like and you're in the LA county jail, you stand a very good chance of being beaten or raped.

I'm not advocating no jail time (well..for some) but you can't do your time quietly in a lot of cases. To be fair, most prisons do try and segregate violent, repeat offenders from first time non violent ones but the prisons are so overloaded that you have a mixture.

If you're in prison and just want to do your time quietly and some one who is there for a while, a lifer perhaps, enjoys starting fights to add more time to your 6 month term. You may be defending yourself but you will get additional time for it. The prison is the judge and jury of it and in almost all cases they blame all parties for violent conduct.

Everyone, knows what goes on. Most of us may not care UNTIL its you or someone close to you. Given what little I know of American prisons and Thai, I know which one I'd choose hands down.

I don't know if they have but I have to believe that its a human rights issue. If the same occured in a prisons in some 3rd world cesspool, I'm sure 'American' international human rights groups would be protesting the conditions.

I knew guys in my old neighborhood who went to prison, sometimes innocent, but others for what would be deemed as non violent, youthful indescretions had it occurred in the suburbs but left permanently scarred for life for what occurred while incarcerated.

Prisons are big business. I don't expect things to change.

Guest lazyphil

well clearly this guy does not deserve pelican bay, that was tounge in cheek. they could have him go do community work say at a home for the mentally sick, have him clean up a few old peoples incontinence for a week or two, that might make him think twice acting like a bellend in future.

My posts wasn't meant for the guy. Cut outs through my personal experience or what I've heard that a) things do happen and B) a hijacking of the thread regarding american prisons.

Assuming the guy is guilty though, does he deserve the possibility of being raped and beaten? Which is a different issue altogether. I just think its a shame that one cant' do their time quietly anymore. Prison is no longer about punishing but offering rehabilitation but a business like any other.

Now, ask me if I would like to be on the plane with a guy who has a knife in a book, HELL NO!! Just about any safeguard to prevent it (within reason and not inviolation of my civil liberties), is fine by me.

OK. I have always deplored prison violence and people's indifference to it and worse joking about it. It's dead wrong no matter what crime someone is in for.

That said, what we have in the present instance is a seriously screwed up guy committing a serious crime against American society and people posting to this thread making excuses (not necessarily you, Steve, but others for sure), downplaying what he did, and using this incident as the latest excuse to bash America idiotically.

In other words, same ol' same ol'.

Archived