Cell phones/SIM cards???

Badger77

Hi,

BTW, the SIM cards you can get at B49, with a time limit of 1 month & B30 for calls. SIM is samll chip set which it tied to the service provider, One2call, AIS, etc., in LOS. You can change the SIM which is GSM techo,where as in CDMA, this is not possible as the handset is tied to provider.

Majority of countries if you just change the SIM it will work except in US, as the GSM is set on different frequence from the rest of the world - 1900 & the other at 900.

In terms of technology when it comes delivery CDMA is far more robust than GSM - this is lost as customers cannot move freely across the world & service providers. This is one the reasons GSM phone caught on. CDMA was there much before GIS.

cheers

...You can change the SIM which is GSM techo,where as in CDMA, this is not possible as the handset is tied to provider.

Majority of countries if you just change the SIM it will work except in US, as the GSM is set on different frequence from the rest of the world - 1900 & the other at 900.

Not entirely true. It depends upon your handset. Both my Nokia 6110 Navigator and iPAQ smart phone can do CDMA, 3G and quad band GSM, so they work in every country in the world (except maybe Korea).

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

You can change the SIM which is GSM techo,where as in CDMA, this is not possible as the handset is tied to provider.

Not true, I picked up a CDMA handset at Incheon Airport on my way in this morning that I popped my AIS SIM into. SIM compatable CDMA handsets are available for visitors with foreign accounts that they can use whilst roaming.

Doesn't AIS loan you a handset if you go to Japan?

Yes, for two weeks free, if you are a Serenade member. Not sure the cost if not.

Cava, my AIS post-paid SIM works just fine in Nihon. And my Nokia 6100 Navigator works there too, so I do not need to get a phone from AIS.

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

Just PM and i will clear whole tech between CDMA & GSM...... With many grey replies.. sure u must have been confused. I posted reply and some of them, got confusing replies, maybe some of them did not understand my post when talking of seemless move across CDMA & GSM when swithcing handsets. I am a vetran in telecom for the past 23 yrs working right from copper to fiber. From TDM, CDMA to GSM protocals. 2day the so called cell phones were know as handphones when CDMA was lunched many leap years ago. I have 4 patents (AT&T) between CDMA & GSM - sad part is when ur kid you've no idea what kind money they can rake in. U just sign on the dotted line all kind of NDA & patent's - bang the company makes a killing. I went thru these...

cheers

Archived