Need Quick Help

Night_Rider

I leave for the Land of Smiles in about 36 hours and I really don't have a plan. I'd be very greatful for some sage advice from the in-house sages.

I know Bangkok very well but not Patters. I have about 18 days and have vaguely divided my trip into ..

3-4 days in Angor Wat

3-4 days in Pattaya

7 days at some island; perhaps Koh Lanta

3-4 days shopping in Bangkok

My vague plan is to move from east to west. Here are the questions I have.

1. from the new airport should I use Bangkok or Pattaya to launch the next day for Siem Reap overland by bus?

2. If Pattaya, what do you recommend for transport for a flight arriving at midnight?

3. Could you name three recommended guest houses in Pattaya with the criteria of clean, cheap and guest friendly? Also do you recommend right in the heart of the action or out a bit.

(currently favoring one of the Sawasdee properties if you have a recommendation between the three)

I'm really counting on some old hands to steer me true.

Ummm. Is school on break right now? I thought about doing some work in Patters supporting some students on break.....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As J2 said, best bus route is from BKK to Poipet, then transfer in Poipet to a shared taxi or minivan. Check Talesofasia.com for latest prices in Cambo and the latest taxi scams.

Flying to Phnom Penh and then taking a boat of the Tonle Sap would normally be an interesting trip. Will take most of the day, depending on the type of watercraft and the level of the lake. At this time of year, not sure that there's enough water for some boats and they might have to go slower. After the rainy season, no prob. Bus BKK to Siem Reap will be a looooong day, but doable. Might want to think about overnight in Sisophone and go from there. Unless you're really, really into ruins, 3-4 days would be stretching it. You can see Angkor Wat in a day, if you aren't intent on seeing/climbing everything there and just want to hit the main attractions.

HH

I agree with Hugh that 3-4 days is a bit too much of a good thing. I went with a couple of mates and we did two morning tours then looked around in the afternoons. The old market there used to be quite interesting.

We were there in early March and the boat was fine, a long skinny thing that would probably float in a foot of water. I reckon the trip was about 5 hours.

The big local restaurants there have beer promotion girls who are very friendly.

Thanks guys.

I want to do the overland route for the price. I did read Tales of Asia - great site - and that was their recommendation. They said it's a day's journey there.

The concensus appears to be that BKK to Poipet is more convenient than airport to Pattaya to Poipet. Yes?

When I do finally make fun city where should I stay? I'm not sure Lonely Planet is considering my more purient interests in their recommendations.

Forget Lonely Planet, there are loads of 500 baht hotels on 2nd road, immediately parallel to Walking Street. It sounds like you're on a budget though so realistically you couldn't afford most of the Walking Street girls (the total cost for one girl would be about the same as a return flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap). I recommend the Queen Victoria hotel on soi 6, where the room costs 500 baht and the girls in the nearby bars not much more. Please do not share this information with Lonely Planet carrying backpackers.

In Pattaya, Soi LK METRO, just off Soi Diana and running to Soi Buakow has a wide variety new and clean guesthouses as well as a lively nightlife all it's own: B400 to B800.

One of them, THE TRAVELERS REST also arranges golf outings if that is your thing. There is also a conveniently located "LOLITAS" and "EDEN" (aka "HELL CLUB")

If you decide to be on Walking Street, the P72 Hotel is right across from Lucifer's disco in the heart of the action. Decent rooms in the older wing:B600-700, new wing:B1200-up.

Close to the beach and Soi's 7&8 (beer bar central) any of the four EASTINY'S or FLIPPER HOUSE(soi 7) OR LODGE(soi 8) B900+

The best bus route from BKK to Siem Reap appears to be via Poipet.

Why don't you look for a cheap flight to Phnom Penh and get the river boat up to Siem Reap? That's a really great trip.

Hi

Was looking just a few hours back on AirAsia and a return ticket Bkk-PP is for around Bhat 3,300 any day better then going by the land.

cheers

Archived