Nana Plaza to be demolished

PhilAnders

As previous posters have said I can't see any point in replacing NEP with yet another shopping centre and it would'nt be much of one in that space would it? And if they built a hotel there, again what would be the point? yet another hotel in an area with plenty of them and you would have taken away one of the main reasons people who stay there like to stay there?!

Simie.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that the type of tourists in Bangkok is changing. The Tourism Authority of Thailand TAT is promoting heavily in South- and East-Asian countries, with success. In stead of the single males more and more "families" are visiting the capital. So perhaps a new hotel replacing NEP will make sense...

SatRai, whilst it does appear that lower Sukhumvit is becoming more popular with "normal" tourists these days, information in another thread does appear to imply that numbers of female tourists from most countries are actually down? And if I was visiting with a family Sukhumvit soi 4 with or without NEP is prbably the last place I'd stay?

Simie.

Correct, every country seem to build shopping centres everywhere. Sweden with a population of 9 millions soon has shopping centres for 40 millions. The "quality" tourists Thailand wants go directly to Utapao airport and never come to BKK - russian couples of course.

So based on economical facts no more shopping malls - but since when are decisions in any country based on facts.... :thumbdown:

Keep in mind that the type of tourists in Bangkok is changing. The Tourism Authority of Thailand TAT is promoting heavily in South- and East-Asian countries, with success. In stead of the single males more and more "families" are visiting the capital. So perhaps a new hotel replacing NEP will make sense...

Meanwhile, in another recent thread on another forum on this very board there is a link to a newsreport where TAT itself provides figures showing that this promotion has not been a success. Indeed, the TAT's own statistics show that the number of male tourist arrivals has increased markedly while the number of female tourist arrivals has decreased substantially.

Unless these "families" don't include wives and consist primarily of men, I don't see how TAT's own figures jive with your claims about the TAT's success in promoting tourism to families. Although tourism figures are hard to measure, I think the stats on something as basic as gender are likely to be right (the obvious joke about gender confusion has already been posted in the thread on the TAT report).

There has, however, been a marked increase in tourism from Laos. So perhaps you were thinking this new hotel in the Nana area will cater to upscale family tourists from Laos - is that the idea?

Meanwhile, in another recent thread on another forum on this very board there is a link to a newsreport where TAT itself provides figures showing that this promotion has not been a success. Indeed, the TAT's own statistics show that the number of male tourist arrivals has increased markedly while the number of female tourist arrivals has decreased substantially.

Unless these "families" don't include wives and consist primarily of men, I don't see how TAT's own figures jive with your claims about the TAT's success in promoting tourism to families. Although tourism figures are hard to measure, I think the stats on something as basic as gender are likely to be right (the obvious joke about gender confusion has already been posted in the thread on the TAT report).

There has, however, been a marked increase in tourism from Laos. So perhaps you were thinking this new hotel in the Nana area will cater to upscale family tourists from Laos - is that the idea?

Oops! I think ur very right.

I had been reading a report from 2001...

Although I see a sad increase in the number of dumb bovine grazing shoppers on Sukhumvit, I still can't see a shopping mall making more money than the Plaza in that position. It's a pissy little space. How is it going to attract people when there are so many better options? MBK, Siam Paragon, Discovery, Central World Plaza, Emporium, new places going up on Asoke...

Even Thai business people can see that, surely? I don't see shoppers rushing to Times Square, the mall on the corner of Soi 3 or Ploenchit Center!

Bibblies, that is common sense, something that is severely lacking in Thai culture...

Keep in mind that the type of tourists in Bangkok is changing. The Tourism Authority of Thailand TAT is promoting heavily in South- and East-Asian countries' date=' with success. In stead of the single males more and more "families" are visiting the capital. So perhaps a new hotel replacing NEP will make sense... [/quote']

Oops! I think ur very right.

I had been reading a report from 2001...

Its defintely male-orientated, you only have to look at the make-up of each plane coming into LOS, its going to be 90/10 in favour of men...the 10% being the stewardesses :)

Thailand wants what Thailand cannot have. Globally the country is known for its "nightlife" and probably to a lesser extent its Katoeys - I doubt it will ever shred its image, much in the same way everyone thinks Brits drink Tea at 11 and wear bowler hats. Why doesn't it just capitalise on this in a subtle way rather than con "families" into going there...

Archived