Nana Plaza to be demolished

PhilAnders

It struck me that that little alley we call Soi Cowboy now looks completely out of place. As little as 7 years ago, the place was deserted.

I mentioned this idea some time ago and I think it would be a winner. Enclose Soi Cowboy and give it a new look from Asoke/23, similar what Vegas did with downtown. Just give it a new facade and build over and around it. If folks want the effect of a rainy night, turn on sprinklers. Of course, this improvement would probably raise the price of a beer to 300 baht. :smirk:

HH

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hugh ol' buddy ol' pal, if you can't have fun in Bangkok without alcohol (beer), you have got SERIOUS problems somewhere.

If I got a problem, it ain't going without alcohol in BKK. With the widespread availability of Diet Coke/Pepsi in the bars these days, I probably have 6 or 7 koh-lahs for every beer. I gotta maintain my hunk image and maintain my physique, you know. :smirk:

HH

It is unlikely that a developer will purchase the Cowboy area as each of the bars have different leaseholders. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

For example Baccarra owns its own lease - Suzie Wong is sub let from another owner and Sheba is sub let from yet another owner.

Also the road going through Cowboy is owned by the BMA, so that would have remain and go through the middle of any development. OK, a developer can get someone from the BMA in their back pocket, but all of this adds to the development costs.

Nana on the other hand, has one major leasholder that sublets to the bars so it would be easier therefore to aquire and develop. However new leases were signed in nana at the end of the last year, so it would be a while before anything could happen there. The Nana rumour has been going on for years and years anyway.

In short IMHO, I don't believe either area is under imminent threat.

Ouch, it seems like some people now feel as having been kicked in the balls because of my comments on SC. Not my intention! I merely wrote how I myself feel about these places. If you like these places then that's ok with me. Everybody his own cup of tea.

There are more places then SC, NEP, Soi33, Patpong.

Nowadays I like Ratchada soi 8 better.

And I am a frequent visitor of two G-clubs.

By the way: I do not live in India.

And to Mr. Bibblies who is complaining about Asians walking too slow: what is the reason that western tourists - especialy the single males - always seem to be in some kind of hurry when walking on the streets of BKK? Did they have a spicy lunch and are looking for a toilet or is there something else?

Archived