Nana Plaza to be demolished

PhilAnders

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to go to China, SFO is almost same same...er maybe more Chinese here though... :dunno::dunno: I forgot to add to my previous rant, I love when these people push and shove, and then tell me "...this is Filipino (or Chinese) style..." and then get annoyed when I reply "...here is a news flash, we are not in the P.I. (or China), we are in the USA, and we have manners here..."

Because they have lives they value. No time to waste. They actually know where they're going.

:shakehead

This sounds rather arrogant.

Does this imply that Asians do not have lives they value and do not know where they are going? Looks like the hurried male tourists consider themselves more important than anyone else?

Sorry to say so but if this is really what you meant then their attitude is disgusting.

I really hope you don't have a job that involves logic or reasoning because your last 3 posts on this thread seem to lack those qualities.

People who are aware of others enough to appreciate that they may have different lives and needs and are considerate enough to let them past are the opposite of arrogant.

It's those who ignore those things - i.e. the ones who are in their own world' date=' inconsiderate and would enforce their own pace on others (even though it is a small courtesy for them to move to one side slightly) who are arrogant.

Nice to see you get so offended on the behalf of Asians for me simply answering your question. Was it more 'arrogant' than your assumption that Western males are all rushing to the toilet and associated implication that Asians shouldn't bother to be courteous?

I remember your post a while back on some incident that you said occurred about some "rude" Europeans. At the time, I believed your view of things. Your bizarre opinions on this thread have made me wonder what [i']really[/i] happened. Probably another complete misanalysis/misrepresentation of the facts?

The fact that you don't get my point and don't agree with me does not mean that I would lack logical reasoning. You don't know me and you don't know how well or how bad I perform in my job so please stay out of that and don't get personal.

I do understand that when walking on the streets one should not hinder others and block their ways. And I do understand that it is irritating and frustrating when others do.

But the words you used to express this in your last post were offending and denigrating towards Asians and to me it seemed nothing less than a veiled superiority-statement.

As everyone knows, Bangkok is the land of pedestrian courtesy and safety. The difference between how most Farangs and Thais use footpaths is interesting, and clearly I am not the only one who has noticed this. It is not only Thais occupying an entire foot path totally obvious to anyone behind them walking in slow motion, but motorcyclists nudging or knocking pedestrians out of the way so that they can use the footpath (sidewalk) and the MIB not giving a damn about it. Imagine something like this happening in the US or the EU? I have been here for 14 years, and it still annoys me.

And yet, in face-to-face dealings, Thais are probably the politest people on the planet. Even when it is not genuine, it is disarming. Oh well, its just part of living here.

It's the other stuff (extrajudicial killings, demands for bribes, murders of Farangs the authorities summarily characterize as suicides when the facts clearly suggst otherwise) that really bother me.

It is unlikely that a developer will purchase the Cowboy area as each of the bars have different leaseholders. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

For example Baccarra owns its own lease - Suzie Wong is sub let from another owner and Sheba is sub let from yet another owner.

Also the road going through Cowboy is owned by the BMA, so that would have remain and go through the middle of any development. OK, a developer can get someone from the BMA in their back pocket, but all of this adds to the development costs.

Nana on the other hand, has one major leasholder that sublets to the bars so it would be easier therefore to aquire and develop. However new leases were signed in nana at the end of the last year, so it would be a while before anything could happen there. The Nana rumour has been going on for years and years anyway

These sorts of arrangements make a huge difference to Bangkok's geography. I personally don't know anything about the lease arrangements in these areas, but these sorts of restrictions make a big difference. The large office buildings on Sathorn (e.g., PWC building) are there largely because that area was formerly occupied by orchards where the lots are large and the developers did not have to negotiate with as many parties. "Suan Plu" as in "Soi Suan Plu" is a reference to an orchard or orchards.

I do understand that when walking on the streets one should not hinder others and block their ways. And I do understand that it is irritating and frustrating when others do.

Good, you should have said so then instead of posting some silliness about single male diarrhoea .

But the words you used to express this in your last post were offending and denigrating towards Asians and to me it seemed nothing less than a veiled superiority-statement.

Well, you're wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time).

I was among 3 or 4 people who ridiculed your logic and grasp of the facts in your post about Soi 33/SC/etc. To not like something is fine but the reasons were crap - illogical and full of plain distortions of the fact.

This and the over-eagerness to try to distort things as 'racist' make me more sceptical about your posting way back about English racists. If you're willing to do this and distort Soi 33, say, to be a place where girls 'drag you in', who knows what really happened?

For the record, my position on Asians is pretty close to Gadfly's, I'd say. I.e. I think that Thais are more polite and charming than Europeans in most ways but they are strangely inconsiderate when it comes to walking and driving.

I don't know their reasons for doing this but it seems a logical enough guess that people who want to travel more quickly value their time more than those who dawdle.

Guest lazyphil

then theres the contrast, stark one i add, between thais and chinese i noticed at phuket fantasy in the dining hall, polite, charming thais while the chinese tourist barged around like ignorant c**ts at the buffet bar. if i had a flame thrower i'd have gladly used it on them, god awful specimens, even made germans look demure!

I don't know their reasons for doing this but it seems a logical enough guess that people who want to travel more quickly value their time more than those who dawdle.

So now you are talking about time but in your denigrating post you clearly stated "Because they have lives they value". That's quite a difference, don't you think so? When someone does not value his time enough, does that mean that he doesn't value his life? It's still a wrong and offending thing you said there.

And about my silly and other stupid reasoning and logic: twice I WAS dragged into a bar in soi 33 So it DOES happen (although it happens more often in SC). And the presence of big fat drunk men IS a turnoff for me. Others may get a hard one when they see these dudes yelling and shouting but I do not.

These things are reasons for ME to dislike these places. You didn't believe me about the dragging in soi 33 and appearantly you couldn't stand the fact that there are indeed people who dislike the place you adore so much.

It's very silly to get personal and to call someone silly without a careful argument.

Archived