Cost of Wedding in Issan

nordicman

Yes, I definitely think you are right about the "showing off" part. And that really pisses me off to no end. I can go on and on to my GF about how things are really tight for me right now and we have to keep costs to a minimum--in one ear, out the other, especially when it comes to her family.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had told my GF that if her daughter wanted to go passed the 6th grade of school I would pay for it. Now she will not continue her education except for some kind of 1 day a week program. Anyway, as I won't be paying for her education, in a sad way I am getting off easy paying for this small wedding. My guess for such a wedding, a pure out of my butt quess would be about 10k. That is about what you some of you thought also. So, I guess I'll give her 12K and be firm about it. Of course, if my GF wanted, she will come up with other reasons for more money or she'll hock her gold bracelet and in the end I wind-up paying for it anyway. I think I am getting a little tired of this crap.

Well said, it's time to think about moving on when you're put under that sort of pressure.

There's no reason why the girl cannot go back to full time schooling after the baby is born anyway.

Unless of course the husband doesn't want her to.

My Thai wedding was a one day affair with the ceremony in the morning and the reception (party with food and music) in the evening. Being the male, I paid the family sin sod and the wedding was paid for by my wife's family. It was certainly paid for from my sin sod but at least I wasn't asked to pay both the sin sod and for the wedding. Additionally, I provided 10 Baht of gold but only after it was agreed that the gold belonged to both of us and not just my wife.

Gold in the hands of a Thai is like trying to hold water in a strainer.

As part of the family, I also have offered to pay for any of her family to get educated. Education in Thailand is inexpensive in farang terms. I figure the better educated her family is, the more likely others can help support themselves and the family. I consider it an investment and two of her sisters have already graduated with "associates" degrees. I had 3 rules for the money:

1. I see the receipt for the tuition, books and fees payment.

2. I see the grade reports every term.

3. If the family member graduates they owe me no money, but if they quit before finishing they owe me every Baht I provided for their "unfinished" education.

U2B

Archived