Cost of Wedding in Issan

nordicman

My GF daugther of 15 HAS to get married--sigh. At first it was going to be a 3 day affair: first day you eat chicken and fish, 2nd day you eat cow, 3rd you eat pig... 30,000 baht please. (and I am in the States so no pig for me) First question. Is that about the right price for this kind of wedding? Secondly, now (for reasons I don't need to go into) it is going to be a simple wedding. About how much should I cough up for that?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a similar wedding here for my wife's niece a couple of years back.

I have a feeling the lad's father chipped in a few baht.

Certainly never took three days, they had an afternoon ceremony at my brother in law's house with a few drinks and nibbles then most people went over to the fathers house for a party.

That would be your basic wedding here.

I suspect your GF wants to show off so it's entirely up to you how much you want to spend, particularly if you're not going to be there. I'd send 10,000 and see what happens.

Why are you paying? Daughter gets married the BOY ALWAYS PAYS!!!!!!!

NEVER is it any way around in traditional circles. So someone is lieing.

Gf's rice farmer's sis married in the village.

Sis family paid for the food, sinsod was 30K plus envelopes did not cover the cost mother told me. I guess it did, but not much was leftover.

I still don't get the sinsod part.

A farang married a farmer's daughter in the village recently and he paid 500K plus 10 baht gold!!! Dunno who paid for the village party.

I told the gf paying sinsod is like buying a woman, I get bad looks for mentioning that.

Sis and rice farmer live at sisters parents place.

The last bit might be tradition?

In this particular case I don't see why the farang should pay anything :shocked:

Maybe the boy should be slapped?

She's only 15? A bit young isn't she?

Something definitely needs to be done about promiscuity in Thai villages. Somebody needs to have strong words with the boy's parents. Perhaps counselling for the girl would help too.

A lot of the girls are breaking a way from the system through education. As the families become more prosperous they have the opportunity to spend more time at school.

However they are still under considerable pressure from the local males to have sex, not only the lads either, an older man will pursue as many young girls as his budget will allow.

They receive little moral support from their families, the mother is usually working and disinclined to supervise a daughters activities on top of everything else she has to do. The father's only interest will often be in attempts to seduce his daughter's teenage friends.

It would be easy to say this is typical Thai behavior but it was also common in rural Australia fifty years ago.

Archived