Why Aren't We Surprised?

Julian2

How about the 2006 LP guide (Thailands Islands and Beaches)....chapter on bangkok (written by LP's "China Williams", who thinks she's oh, so cute and witty):

Page 98 (places to stay): "Suk. area hs plenty of cheaper medrange places and luxury hotels, but the surrounding neighborhood is sleaze central".

page 101: "Most of the cheap hotels in Suk. area are full of middle-aged white men with teenage Thai girlfriends or boyfriends in tow. There are top-end hotels in this area that seem wholesome to the casual onlooker; many simply cater to wealthier, more discreet single men looking for love. Recommended mid-range hotels: Atlanta, SUK11, Federal, SP, Miami."

And she's so cute in the Food section: "One of the world's great food cities, BKK rules the cheap eats dynasty...with fantastic Thai meals....as well as SPOT-ON ARABIC DISHES, SOUTH INDIAN MAMA MEALS, ...." .

Ugh, her writing above makes me want to puke.

Page 112 GoGo bars: "BKK s legendary for its gogo bars, and lonely foreign men still flock here in huge numbers to take advantage of thailands liberal attitude towards love for sale. For some people its paradise; for others its pitiable. "

They always amused me with their whole hearted condemnation of heterosexual sex tourism venues while cheerfully recommending "gay hangouts" featuring wall to wall male prostitutes.

Err... so I've been told.

Amusing that Ms Williams recommends the Federal as a suitable hotel. I've stayed there over many years and been assisted up the stairs by one or more young ladies on many occasions.

I hate to sound like an old fart, but today's backpackers are largely a group of spoiled brats. They travel to meet and be seen by other backpackers, and to brag about their "great adventure" when then get back home.

Ah, but when I were a lad, men were men. No bloody book told us where to go. We found out ourselves by asking and exploring. Amazing how we managed to travel without someone leading us by the hand. Grumble grumble bitch bitch bitch .... har har, me hearties.

:)

There was one slim guide on SE Asia in the early '70s, probably the forerunner of the Looney Planet books. I didn't even see it until after I'd been here a few years. It did include this brilliant advice in the chapter on Thailand: Peace Corps volunteers are lonely and are eager to have someone to talk to. Look up the local PC volunteers and ask to stay with them. They'll be happy to put you up. (And presumably feed you, wash your clothes, shag you, kiss your butt etc.)

I showed that advice to my PC colleagues - there were 4 of us in my little city - and their jaws dropped. Just what we really needed were stray "world travellers" knocking on our doors at all hours seeking a place to crash for free.

:shocked:

• 2 weeks later...
How about the 2006 LP guide (Thailands Islands and Beaches)....chapter on bangkok (written by LP's "China Williams", who thinks she's oh, so cute and witty):

Page 98 (places to stay): "Suk. area hs plenty of cheaper medrange places and luxury hotels, but the surrounding neighborhood is sleaze central".

page 101: "Most of the cheap hotels in Suk. area are full of middle-aged white men with teenage Thai girlfriends or boyfriends in tow. There are top-end hotels in this area that seem wholesome to the casual onlooker; many simply cater to wealthier, more discreet single men looking for love. Recommended mid-range hotels: Atlanta, SUK11, Federal, SP, Miami."

And she's so cute in the Food section: "One of the world's great food cities, BKK rules the cheap eats dynasty...with fantastic Thai meals....as well as SPOT-ON ARABIC DISHES, SOUTH INDIAN MAMA MEALS, ...." .

Ugh, her writing above makes me want to puke.

Page 112 GoGo bars: "BKK s legendary for its gogo bars, and lonely foreign men still flock here in huge numbers to take advantage of thailands liberal attitude towards love for sale. For some people its paradise; for others its pitiable. "

Be warned, there's a reason she writes as she does, her appearance....

pic5.jpg

Archived