La cage aux nok?

Miss Vampirella had surgery the other day. Nothing serious, and elective. But she's in a bit of pain and staying at her mother's house...because "you cannot see me like this; I want to be beautiful for you and I'm not right now."

Awwww, innit that sweet?

Anyway, she calls me and is basically stoned out of her gourd on the Vicodin that her doc gave her for pain and the Dormicum I gave her as a sleep aid.

Have you ever tried to speak with a stoned Thai on the phone? Hilarity ensued.

She tells me she wants "grong nok (à¸Âรà¸?à¸?à¸Â); you know, house for bird." I'm puzzled. A bird cage? Did she get a pet bird? Was there a special at the hospital and you got a parrot with every nose job? WTF? "What size do you want?" I ask. She says up to me. WTF? She's too stoned and slurring her words to make any sense on the phone, so I just go with it.

I was to meet Nervous Dog for dinner and to get the Chinese copy of a Nokia N95 (only B3k!) he got for me on one of his trips. Vampy wanted it to play with. Cheap enough, why not? I knew there was a pet shop near the Villa on Suk at 33, which was on the way to dinner, so I stopped in and tried to find a bird cage. Even though I would look quite silly carrying around a bird cage to a restaurant. But you do silly things when you're in love, right?

As luck would have it, this pet shop did not have birdcages and the gal there referred me to a place called Birdland (hmmm, isn't that a famous jazz club?) on Petchaburi near Thonglor. Well, I thought, that'll have to wait until tomorrow cuz it is too far to go right now and still be on time for dinner.

Well, silly Doggy forgot the phone, which was the reason we were having dinner LOL! But we had a nice dinner and beers and conversation anyway. I called Vampy and told her she would not be getting her phone until tomorrow and tried to reverify the bird cage mission. She slurred something calling Dog a mutt and sounded affirmative on the bird house thing and hung up.

Well, that was a blessing in disguise, Dog forgetting the phone. I call Vampirella in the morning and she's coherent and feeling much better. "So, what size bird cage do you want?"

"Huh?" she replies.

"Don't you remember yesterday you asked me to get you a grong nok? You know, baan bird, house for bird?"

"Mai! Mai! Mai! I asked for raang nok (รัà¸?à¸?à¸Â)!"

"Sure sounded like grong nok to me..."

Raang nok is bird's nest. She was asking for the Chinese herbal medicine. A sweet drink with bird's nest in it. Doah! Boy would I have looked really stupid waltzing into her Mom's house carrying a bird cage LOL! Although I know all about bird's nest as a herbal supplement, I did not even think of it in the context of our conversation. No idea why.

Luckily we're both still laughing about that one...

Cheers,

SD -- stupid farang

Feckin Idiot that Nervous Dog! Still - glad it all worked out and does the "copy" Nokia work?

Ya he's an idiot, but a lovable one. Kinda like me.

The phone worked when I turned it on, but I didn't even put a SIM into it. But Vampy called me on it an hour ago. So...so far so good!

Cheers,

SD

Archived