Era of cheap food ends as prices surge

Flashermac

<< They consistantly sell below cost driving the competition out of business whilst maintaining the mantra that they are doing this for the sake of the consumer. >>

Same same in Thailand. I've seen fresh veggies at Tesco at as low as 1/3d the price you pay in the local market. No way Tesco can be making a profit from them.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean' date=' how would Colorwolf and Bibblies feel if posters started openly mocking thick people?[/quote']

They may be thick but it appears their skin isn't as thin as others... :cover:

That's about right. It's amazing how many fat people here are so thin-skinned.

Personally, I couldn't care less about how many fat men there are (unless, as Damen said, they're squeezing me out of an airplane seat). I'm of the libertarian view that people should be able to do what they want. But stop whining about how it's not your fault or that your blubbery shape is somehow "normal". There's too much of this prevalent in Western society today - the tyranny of the fat, pretending that they're 'normal', that it's 'difficult' to slim, etc. I respect the guys who have the honesty to say "I'm fat because I let it happen".

Teddy, I've seen that you're going back to England for good soon. That's good. You'll feel right at home there amongst all the whining thin-skinned fatties who think it's "someone else's fault". :thumbup:

To address the playground insults, it's obvious to anyone with a brain that most fatties tend to be at the lower, less intelligent, end of the socio-economic spectrum. More intelligent people, by contrast, have the nous to associate cause and effect and tend to have the personal honesty and self-control to avoid obesity and its ill-effects.

Being polite, I don't "openly mock" fat people ... unless they come out with shit about how it's "normal" or "not their fault". Being intelligent ( :rolleyes: ), I NEVER mock thick or ugly people because, unlike with obesity, that's something that is not their fault.

(Also, with ugliness, people in glass houses... :( )

playtheblues - I'm 'overweight' too by BMI. It's bollocks. I think there's a modern adjustment that brings in waist-size that allows for those of us who are built of lean mass instead of pure fat.

... Cue the rage of the indignant fatties. :)

Teddy, I've seen that you're going back to England for good soon. That's good. You'll feel right at home there amongst all the whining thin-skinned fatties who think it's "someone else's fault". :thumbup:

For your information Bibblies, I am just over 6 foot tall, weigh 75 kg and have a 33 inch waist, hardly fat.

I would like to know your motive for attacking people who are fat though, maybe that would help me to understand the issues you have with them and come to think of it the issues you have with anything or anyone else that doesn't fit into your myopic viewpoint :dunno:

Guest lazyphil

oddly enough it goes both ways. since i worked out to go from 16.8 stone to 12.7 at 6 feet (32 waste 42 chest....was 38 waste 39 chest :crazy:) i get quite alot of remarks from fat people....'my granddad ate lard butties and smoked, drank all his life and lived to 98'....'you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, why bother'....i used to look at runners and gym rats as weird folk. some say i'm obsessed with fittness...i reply dedicated, big difference :smirk:

Re: fat women. I just don't like looking at them. I see so many women who could be sexy if they didn't let their bodies run to fat.

Re: fat men. I don't care. Actually it's good for me the more of you don't care because a lot of girls don't like fat blokes.

I don't have any "issues". I just fancied supporting Colourwolf who was being attacked by fatties (and their sympathisers) for sporting a common sense viewpoint, expressed in an over-the-top amusing way. Do you fatties really fear being herded into camps? :dunno::)

And he has a point. Perhaps if food prices are higher, fatties might start reflecting on what they eat.

Lazyphil also has it right. Go back to England and you'll find that it's the other way around. Now the fat camp is in the ascendency (perhaps because over half the UK population is overweight). There is lots in the media criticising "size zero" models but woe-betide anyone who points out that the main problem by far is obesity.

If you try to take care of yourself, as lazyphil says, it is questioned. It is implied that you are wrong and that running to fat is normal. It is different from 20 or even 10 years ago (when where you last living in the UK?)

I have two sisters. One is thin, the other a little chubby. Guess which one gets all the rude comments about her weight and what she should be doing? That's right - the thin one. :doah:

I make no apologies. (And I don't fear the wrath of any fatties. First you'd have to catch me. Then swing your blubbery arms. Not only could I run and move faster, I could also distract them with burgers and cake. :) )

Flashermac - this story's pretty old. Commodity prices have been soaring for years. The fact that it's getting so much coverage in the mainstream media indicates to me that perhaps this market has peaked. Prices have in fact been going down in the last month or two. Wheat peaked at over $1100. (I was lucky enough to ride that a bit). Now it's over 20% down. Same story with coffee, orange juice, soy beans, etc.

After all, how hard is it really to plant more? It's mainly the diversion of crops for bio-fuels that has been driving things astray.

'you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, why bother'

my attitude at my time of life.

i spent 15 Years running and having a healthy lifestyle.

after an 80 Mile run affected me mentally i gave up the exercise.

i have run many races including marathons in Europe,Africa and N.America and have the t-shirts and medals.

now i like my junk food,alcohol and cigarettes.

no exercise and more food has seen me drop from 69 Kilos to 57 Kilos(whatever that is in English).

nowadays i don't want to exercise and actually feel better for it.

but my job involves walking around 9 Miles on a busy Day,5 on a quiet Day.

regular exercise on a daily basis while at work is a good thing.

but i applaud anyone who makes the effort to keep fit.

there are many ways of keeping fit and to me running a couple of Miles a Day combined with Gym work is no difference to running 5,10,15 Miles a Day.

Guest lazyphil

<>

eh?..it is different, not better just different running is a cardio based exercise weight lifting is for mass building or strength building or both. and either or... mixing them up is better than nothing,

being a couch potatoe is politically incorrect and its always cool to be politically incorrect this day and age, usually i like to be! :smirk:

you seemed to have burnt yourself out. something i'm very aware not to do. personally i have zero interest in marathons or any long distance race. i'm now 4xp/w just running the same off road/road 4 mile circuit. 2.5 miles steady state running and the last 1.5 home sprint drills. best time is a feeble 27.36 minutes, but everytime i go out i do my best to beat the last time just as i try to get the extra chin up or whatever in the gym. maybe one day i'll just get fed up with it all and go back to my old ways....

professional runners will mix roadwork with gym work,fitness and strength have to go together.

burnt myself out?.

i ran Marathons because i was paid to do so.

but the 1st one was because it was something i wanted to do for my own piece of mind.

most Days i would run a few Miles just to keep up the fitness levels.

i enjoyed running in organized races but knew i was no good and like your good self i was only interested in beating previous times.

when training i had my long and short runs but hated the sprint training.

i was more suited to long distance.

i ran for fun for around 13 Years and only stopped because i just got bored.

but the 80 Miler and the run to the top of Ben Nevis did take so much out of me mentally.

but i never had any sort of health regime during my running time.

but as i said in my previous post i am active at work.

i may be lazy when at home but i get plenty of exercise at work.

and with Summer approaching i will get better.

i enjoy walking to and fro work when the weather is good.

Archived