Era of cheap food ends as prices surge

Flashermac

Families have been warned that the prices of basic foods will rise steeply again because of acute shortages in commodity markets.

Experts told The Times yesterday that prices of rice, wheat and vegetable oil would rise further. They also forecast that high prices and shortages â?? which have caused riots in developing countries such as Bangladesh and Haiti â?? were here to stay, and that the days of cheap produce would not return. Food-price inflation has already pushed up a typical familyâ??s weekly shopping bill by 15 per cent in a year.

A further 15 per cent increase in the price of a standard Kingsmill loaf would push it up from £1.09 to to £1.24. Butter has gone up by 62 per cent in the past year. A similar rise would bring the price of a 250g pack to £1.52.

The price of rice, which has almost tripled in a year, rose 2 per cent on the Chicago Board of Trade yesterday as the United Nations food agency gave warning that millions faced starvation because aid agencies were unable to meet the additional financial burden.

Gordon Brown responded to mounting concerns about the global rise in food prices by signalling that he might scale back Britainâ??s commitment to biofuels, which critics say has exacerbated the food crisis because land has been given over to grow crops for energy rather than food.

John Bason, finance director of Associated British Foods, one of Britainâ??s biggest food producers, said that wheat prices had doubled in a year and supermarkets would have to raise the price of bread again. Vegetable oil was also likely to soar in price because the price of corn oil in the US had almost tripled, he said.

Poor harvests and fierce competition for food supplies has already meant the price of eggs, rice, bread and pasta in supermarkets.

Times

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes Thailand all the more attractive. Just around the corner from where I live you can still get Som Tom for 4 people with a cost of 1 GBP. Or you can go to various food courts, Lotus, Big C, and have a nice meal for 2 at the cost of 1 GBP.

Of course, you can go to an Issan village and eat much less expensively!!

high food prices are the best news since oil hit $100 a barrel...at last forces people to review their lifestyles...and with a bit of luck will lead to

(i) a ban on hambugers, chips and assorted other junk food;

(ii) locking up overweight people in prison-like fat farms until they shrink to regular-sized humans;

(iii) fines/imprisonment for those who overorder at restaurants or leave large amounts of food uneaten to gain face...

"...Gordon Brown responded to mounting concerns about the global rise in food prices by signalling that he might scale back Britainâ??s commitment to biofuels, which critics say has exacerbated the food crisis because land has been given over to grow crops for energy rather than food..."

Aren't bio Fuels sort of a scam anyway?

You got a problem with fat people??

:onfire: :susel::censored::wanker:

like any thinking person, i do indeed...fatsos are anti-social, plain stupid and, above all, hideous creatures.

anyone with a body mass index over the normal range should be given a month or so to slim down...if they fail, incarceration in fat farms (at their own cost) would be the best solution...

neither, actually.

apart from a very very tiny minority of people with genetic defects, no one needs to be overweight...if you're fat, it's simply out of stupidity and/or complete and utter disregard for you own body...if someone doesn't care about his/her body, why should anyone else give a toss about him/her?

Well shit!

Seven years ago I weighted 70kgs and one week ago 80.6, this morning 78.5.

It's dam hard to get it down and I don't eat farang food here in the bush. I do daily bicycle rides but will need to find a fat farm in isaan or eat khao niauw with leaves from the trees, maybe we will all come to that :eek:

Archived