New Thai driving license (renewal)

Finally had time and energy to go renew my Thai DL. They have a bit of a new system from last time, so I'll describe how it was done. Much more user friendly.

I did this at the Department of Land Transport at the Chatuchak Park subway stop. Other branches, YMMV.

Items needed (for renewal of both car & motocy licenses):

-- Passport with a valid visa

-- Two copies of the latest entry stamp (NOT the visa) and the info pages of said passport

-- Proof of address from your embassy (B1060 from the US Embassy)

-- Two copies of that too

-- Medical certificate from a doctor (~B200 from any clinic)

-- Ya, two copies of that

-- Your valid home country DL; not normally needed, but my Thai DLs had been expired for over a year and without that, I'd have to take the written tests again

-- Guess what? More copies (two)

-- Your old Thai DLs

Copies are available in the building for B1/pg.

Stand in the info line. Give all this stuff to the gal. She'll sort it, check it and give you some forms and a number. The number is for the special farang line, #16. A blessing because the place is always crowded with Thais (duh!). The only thing you have to write on the forms she gives you is your name. Once.

Once your number is called, the guy in cubicle 16 does all the form filling in, takes your money (in my case B560), takes your picture, and within a couple of minutes, hands you you spiffy new licenses.

They are spiffy, too -- compared to the old ones which were a piece of paper with a picture glued on it. Check 'em out below. They have a hologram, printed picture, Thai and English (so user friendly in other countries), and a magnetic strip. Very first world. Better, in fact. I had to wait three weeks for my US driving license to be mailed to me last year.

Also note that they expire on your birthday, unlike before when the expired on the anniversary of when you got it.

thumb_1209724887-NewThaiDL.jpg

thumb_1209724919-NewThaiDL2.jpg

Cheers,

SD

LOL

Just met with him at Melbourne Airport for a couple of quick drinks.....he was arriving....I'm leaving town....(heard he was coming...55555)

I can assure you that the photo on hie Licence looks exactly like him....I just saw it....LOL

Cheers DS

It used to be that you could get a proof of one's Thai address in the form of a letter from Thai Immigration for about 200 Bht, which would be accepted for the TDL. I hope that will still work instead of having to get one from the US Embassy which is much more of a hassle for someone who is not in BKK.

I think if you renew the Thai licence without having any record of any accidents after the first year, you get the five-year licence.

I recently changed my paper one (it was falling apart) and was pleasantly surprised to find out they also issue the new-style licence 'for life' :) . You can't get those any more :(

Archived