115 drivers caught on first day for using cell phone

Bangkoktraveler

Bangkok Post

5/10/08

Metropolitan Police stopped 115 motorists in Bangkok for violating the ban on using mobile phones while driving Thursday, in the first nine hours the ban was in effect.

Traffic police spotted most violators waiting in their vehicles at red lights.

All admitted they were guilty, said Pol Maj-Gen Panu Kerdlarbpol, deputy Metropolitan Police chief in charge of traffic affairs.

Metropolitan Police will begin fining motorists violating the mobile phone ban from May 20 onwards.

Link

TB, you and I both know that this has been the law in Oz for quite some time, but how often do you actually see a cop pull someone over for it. Christ. I've seen the cops themselves talking on their mobiles while driving !

The problem is that many of us spend more time talking on a mobile phone than we spend talking face to face : women are the worst offenders, but almost everyone is guilty at some time or another. How the hell did people survive before they became so ubiquitous ? When I see someone using a public phone, I just think 'Man, that must be one of the povos ...'. :smirk:

GD: Till recently I was using my mobile 1-2 hours/day to talk with a certain lady....

Was a bit difficult for me to talk face-to-face.

(of course I am always an exception as I am an eccentric)

:beer:

(of course I am enough of a polite animal not to use it everywhere especially where people could be upset at me talking in the void)

Archived