Dangerous swimming pools

elef

The Nation

Today

Link

Dangerous swimming pools

By The Nation

Most swimming pools at schools, hotels, fun parks, condominiums and malls are substandard and put users' health at risk, warned the Department of Health's director general.

A survey found that more than 85 per cent had residual chlorine with a pH value lower than 5.5, compared to the required value of between 6.5 and 7.5, Narongsak Angkhasuwapala said Tuesday.

He urged pool owners to regularly check water quality and update results so that people know pools are well maintained.

The survey was conducted in 2004 and 2005 at 476 swimming pools in Bangkok and nearby provinces.

Narongsak warned that some pools used chlorine with too much acidity, causing dental erosion among swimmers.

He said another report by his office in 2003 found that 31 per cent of 139 swimming pools in 15 provinces had residual chlorine with a pH value lower than 5.5.

When I was a kid, my dad got a cool little kit to test the PH and acidity of our pool water. It was my job to do so, and it was fun. Everything was fine until I acidentally broke a bottle of muriatic acid on the edge of the pool and we had to drain the pool to get all the glass out. Refilling the pool cost a bit of money. I was in the dog house for awhile. :(

My first apartment compound in Bangkok had a nice big pool. I almost never saw them taking care of it though. I doubt if they put anything in it except water.

I recall the most dangerous swimming pool I ever saw in my life.

Was the first time I went to a brothel at 16, was in Africa, following a stupid drunk party we, a group of 16 years old boys, ended up entering the main brothel of the city.

It was full of French legionnaires and RPIMA.

The swimming pool was filled with African ladies, neaked of course.

Why the pool was the most dangerous one in the world?

Because we learned later that 80% of the prostitutes in this club were HIV infected.....

:rip::closemouth:

So you don't use condom's? People with AIDS/HIV are all around us - and we're all quite safe - unless you start mixing blood with them. Why assume anyone of them is ore dangerous than any bar girl in Thailand?

The "Odds" are unimportant - if you meet one with AIDS/HIV you won't prob know - so it's up to you to assume 100% have it.

Besides I'd be a LOT ore worried about genital warts herpes etc which is rife in Thailand and hard to stop infection with a condom as opposed to AIDS/HIV which has a higher risk for females or "receiving" sexual positions.

Are you not telling us something again Drogon???

;)

• 4 weeks later...

" I doubt if they put anything in it except water. "

Khun Flashermac ,

just for the record : if you don't do anything to a pool it will soon look like an Udon Thani fishpond : dark green with algae and myriads of animals .

I only use hotel pools early in the morning even in my beloved riverlodge where they spend hours at night to clean it . People never shower , hold their children in the water with the nappies on etc .

Archived