Hi Eesan Restaurant

Hi Eesan Restaurant

Suk 22 next to Larry's Dive

Hungry after a couple hours of great "I missed you darling" sex :grinyes: , Vampirella and I headed over to this place to renourish -- another one of those places we've passed by 100x, but never stopped. Now if you recall, Ms Vampy is Chinese, but had an Issan nanny whilst growing up and is very fond of Issan food. So she's a very good critic. Me, not so much into Issan food, but it is good for a change of pace and I know what I like.

Impressions: Very nice decor, bright and cheery. Very clean. They had a gal cooking noodles at the door in a very tasteful demonstration of street food. Issan music on the stereo at a very appropriate level, making conversation easy. Pretty uniforms on the wait staff; similar to a TG hostess uniform, i.e., traditional garb.

Drinks: They have a small wine list, one page, with prices up to B2100 a bottle, but with most about half that. A large bottle of Singha was B160.

Food: Very, very extensive menu, in both English & Thai, with pix of most things too. Prices for most dishes were in the B160-220 range. Decently sized portions. As usual, we ordered too much. Larb gai, yam neua, gaeng som, regular & sticky rice, and a whole crispy fish (B450). I had the Sing, and Vampy a nam manao and nam plao. The bill was a very reasonable B1245, and I left a B55 tip as the service was very good and attentive without being intrusive. Our impression was that the yam neua was OK, but not great (tho' the meat was from a good cut); the larb gai was excellent and spicy enough; gaeng som very good; and the fish absolutely top drawer: crunchy on the outside, soft & flaky on the inside, with nary a hint of oiliness. The dipping sauce was good too.

Verdict: As Vampirella put it: "Honey, I think we will eat here a lot na." :up: :up: :up:

Cheers,

SD -- wondering if the guy who was sitting at the table next to us knew his date was a bloke :doah: 555555555

That's how they spell it :dunno: .

Ya, it is pretty new. Maybe a couple of months.

Not in the little square, but on 22 directly, left of Larry's towards the Regency/Queen's Park/et al, in the shop that used to house the Kiwi Cafe.

Oh ya: hours are 1100-midnight.

Cheers,

SD

That is the best spelling I have seen so far. I like it because a newbie is about guaranteed to pronounce it correctly. It is spelled the way it sounds. If you are going to spell something using the alphabet and not Thai characters, that is how to do it.

thanks SD!

prices look a bit on the high side for a Isaan restaurant. original isaan spices or toned down for tourists?

do they have yam khai mot daeng and nam tok pla chorn, my isaan favorites?

Since I am not into that food, I have no idea if that is on the menu (sorry, don't do bugs; nor does Vampy!). But the menu is extensive, so I wouldn't doubt it. If I walk by there in the next day or two I'll check.

Spice level was good to me, and I like it spicy (bland to me has most of my farang friends running for the water). Vampy said maybe a *little* soft, but she thought it fine too. Of course, we only spoke Thai to the staff, and hardly look like tourist/bar girl couple, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I did not think pricey for the atmosphere, more like a Baan Khanita Gallery (on Sathorn) than the usual Issan place with white tile walls and plastic stools. I'll gladly pay a bit extra for a better atmosphere. YMMV.

Cheers,

SD

.... yam khai mot daeng

...a family fav when we're up at the Farm....

but not for me....I'd rather go into Surin and "kill" a botten with Cent over a Cheese platter at Martin's place.....lol

Man can those little fuckers really cause pain when they bite you....arghhhhhhhh

Remember marching through the "Farmer Rice" to go collect tree tips for the Jungle Curry....shorts and flip flops....almost dusk... carting a 12 or 15 foot pole to reach the fresh tips....

....absolutely shit myself when I had a Cobra pass ...WAY too close.... then got to the tree only to find it literally covered in Mot daeng.... very quick lesson learnt...

...Stay the fuck away from those little pricks....55555

Every one that ends up in a pot....is one less to bite me next time

Cheers DS

Archived