Indiana Jones makes Russian communists see red

Flashermac

ST PETERSBURG, Russia (Reuters) - Russian Communist Party members condemned the new "Indiana Jones" film on Friday as crude, anti-Soviet propaganda that distorts history and called for it to be banned from Russian screens.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" stars Harrison Ford as an archeologist in 1957 competing with an evil KGB agent, played by Cate Blanchett, to find a skull endowed with mystic powers.

"What galls is how together with America we defeated Hitler, and how we sympathized when Bin Laden hit them. But they go ahead and scare kids with Communists. These people have no shame," said Viktor Perov, a Communist Party member in Russia's second city of St. Petersburg.

The comments were made at a local Communist party meeting and posted on its Internet site www.kplo.ru

The film, the fourth in the hugely successful Indiana Jones series, went on release in Russian cinemas on Thursday. Russian media said it was being shown on 808 screens, the widest ever release for a Hollywood movie.

In past episodes Indiana Jones has escaped from Nazi soldiers, an Egyptian snake pit, a Bedouin swordsman and a child-enslaving Indian demigod.

[color:red]"Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett (are) second-rate actors, serving as the running dogs of the CIA. We need to deprive these people of the right of entering the country,"[/color] said another party member, Andrei Gindos.

Though the ranks of the once all-powerful Communist Party have dwindled since Soviet times, its members see themselves as the defenders of the "achievements" of the old Soviet Union.

Yes, Stalin loves me. The Kremlin tells me so ...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember something about an Iron Curtain, Soviet enforced border "revisions" with mass population explusions, wars in places like Korea and South Vietnam, and a few other not so friendly things like squelching a workers' uprising in Berlin and a democratic revolution in Hungary.

:hmmm:

Communist assholes like them can go to hell.

(not the soft ones we have back here)

About revisionism?

They happily forget that US and UK saved their "worker's paradise" during WW 2 with the Mourmansk convoys (especially in 1941)

Never the communists or the Russkies later acknowledged the fact.

To them, USSR and the great Russian people saved Russia alone and won the war.

>

Yeah - I mean only 40 thousand pesky Russians died during war holding down the western front. They lucky the west saved them!

Folks are supposed to forget that Hitler and Stalin started out on the same side in WWII. Stalin had already attacked Finland and got away with it, annexing big chunks of Finnish territory. Then Stalin attacked Poland from the east when Adolf attacked it from the west. I have never figured out why Britain and France declared war on Hitler, but not "Uncle Joe". Maybe they were afraid of their own communist parties if they declared war on Stalin too?

p.s. My father met the Russians on the Elbe. The Americans had already crossed the river, but were told to pull back and wait for the Russians.

Archived