Indiana Jones makes Russian communists see red

Flashermac

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< That said - Russia paid more than anyone else for the war - 10 million soldiers as casualties - 17 million people and a fair few ore million from Stalin purges. >>

It's pretty much accepted that most of the Soviet war deaths were due to Stalin's incompetence or even lack of interest in the civilians. Russians starved or froze to death because Stalin couldn't be bothered to get food and clothing shipments to them. Russians nowadays say they won the war DESPITE Stalin, not because of him.

My father told me he was startled to see the state of the Red Army when he met the Russkies on the Elbe. He saw them hauling artillery shells in hand carts and even baby prams. Almost everything they had was makeshift. The Soviets overpowered the German army by greatly superior numbers. The Germans couldn't kill them fast enough to stop them. (Plus Hitler gambled on knocking out the west at the Battle of the Bulge and pulled his best units from the Eastern Front - and lost them. Then there was no one left to face the Russians.)

I didn't say Stalin - I said Russia - and as you say - they just kept going.

Interesting that once Stalin had purged the Red Army and then Germany attacked - the Army requested and got the right to fight mostly how they wanted too. Political commissars where eliminated from chain of command.

Archived