RR&B: The Review

RR & B Steakhouse

31st floor of the Landmark Hotel

We all decided we wanted a very nice steak dinner for a dear friend who now lives in Shanghai's birthday party. Her & her husband picked this place as we had heard it was good and we all wanted to try it.

[color:red]***Warning***[/color] if you faint or feel the need to make snide comments about someone going out to an expensive dinner, do us both a favour and click the back button now!!! This is meant to be informative to those who want to splurge on a nice steak dinner.

Impressions: Slightly difficult to get into. Reservations are a must and the gal "guarding" the lift made damn sure we had them, and was suspicious when we did not know the aactual name it was under (Vampy and I were unsure if it was under the husband, or the wife, or our little "social club's" name). Anyway, we passed the test and got on the lift LOL! Once there, as you would expect, the views are superb. Decor is modern, with soft lighting; the accent lights slowly change from blue to red. Kewl. The other three couples felt the same.

Drinks: Awesome wine list. The gals did champers (Vueve Cliquot Rose). The boys did beer or whiskey on the rocks. No idea on the price as there were none on the menu we were shown. Why? We were not paying for it and it was a (very nice) old fashioned touch. Also old-fashioned and, to me anyway, a bit over the top, was that the waitresses did the "serving of your drinks on their knees" bit. That always makes me uncomfortable to be honest. But I appreciate the thought.

Food: Steak, steak and more steak. Ya there were a few other things, but mostly steak. Australian, USA and Japanese beef of varying ages. But there was an eye-catching veal with a marsala sauce item that caught my eye (priced at B1,900). The birthday girl, her husband and Vampy & I chose to do various steaks to see if there really was any difference. B-day girl did a 140-day aged Aussie (250g & B2,300), her husband the 220 day aged (price?) and "forced me" (555555) to do the 300 day aged tenderloin (350g & B3,300 -- I sneaked a peak at the menu!). Vampy did the US 230g 220 day (only age choice for US beef; B2,600). No one chose the Matsuzaka beef as it was B3,900 a 220g serve! Sides were lovely, but ala carte at B120 each, which I thought a bit over-the-top given the prices of the meat. I did the au gratin potatoes and the minted garden peas. Lovely indeed.

Aging-wise, there was an obvious difference. All three tasted very good to me, just different. I could not say which one I liked better. I guess that the older beef was a bit more complex in taste, and a bit "mellower." But the others were superb. As good a steak as I have had at The Point in Melbourne or Morton's in Chicago or The New York Grille in Tokyo.

More whiskey and three bottles of French reds were thrown in the mix. I'd venture that the bill for four couples all in was B50k or so range. Not something you'd do every day, but an awesome night out indeed.

Verdict: A fine replacement IMHO to the now gone Park Avenue Steakhouse on Ploenchit & Lang Suan that I used to favour over the JW's steakhouse; and it blows Neil's away. Great food, service and views. But you certainly pay for it -- probably too much. That's fine with me on rare occasions.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the review, I am dying to get a good steak.

(They do not have that here and the last piece of good steak I got was in Belgium a few months ago)

Will try for sure as I am a meat and steack lover.

The bill is quite "high" due to the Champagne and Wine mainly, otherwise this is quite reasonable especially for 4 people.

I thought the steaks were a bit high, given I had a bill of HK$1,000 (US$125, or B4k) at Ruth's Chris in Hong Kong (with drinks and dessert). OK, that was a couple of years ago, but it was HK, not Bangers.

Cheers,

SD

Not that expensive SD, 5 years ago me and TGF had dinner in Normandie (Oriental), I paid 30 k even if we had deduction for a free dinner (worth 2 or 3 k). And just one bottle of wine....

Not that often that I eat so expensive (If I pay at least :) , more often I eat street food in Pattaya for 30 baht, but I spend at least 1-2 k on food every day in LOS for me and GF. :beer:

Gee lucky you SD - how did you get so lucky? Must buy one of those lotto tickets!

Well, when we were invited, I had no idea we did not have to contribute. It was a nice (and completely unnecessary) surprise -- very much appreciated. And I'll surely pay it back next time in Shanghai!

Cheers,

SD

Certainly more expensive than the places I mentioned in Oz & US, which are arguably the best steakhouses in each locale. You can't compare Tokyo, but that's Tokyo. I think expensive for Bangkok, for the location. Not expensive for Tokyo, or by the sounds of it, Europe (dunno as I do not go there).

Not that I'm complaining!! I'll be back for sure as it is the best steak in town at the moment I think. So therefore, I guess it is not overpriced as there is no competition, eh?

Cheers,

SD

Surprised that Spain has no good beef. But IMHO, it would be made up for with the wonderful Jamón Ibérico de Bellota found there!!!!

Cheers,

SD -- nothing better than good pig-meat

If you are eating at RR&B with only 2 people, there is a small alcove off to one side that is almost like eating in your own private dining room. The waiter hovers outside the alcove ready to serve at your call.

Check it out ahead of time and you might be able to reserve it if available. Nice for special occasions.

Archived