Obama claims Uncle helped liberate Auschwitz.... Huh?

TheCorinthian

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure none of his ancestors served in the Soviet Army, but I guess I could be wrong.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/05/26/politics/fromtheroad/entry4127479.shtml

Anyone know when any american personnel got to there?

Barry has numerous communist relatives and associates but so far none have been identified as having served the U.S.S.R. in uniform.

The youngster is a one-man gaffe machine. If the media weren't so corrupt this would already be his public persona.

If its confirmed its Buchenwald, then what is the big deal?

This is a non story.

The candidates give hundreds of speeches, there are always lapses. A lie is one thing (Hillary sniper fire) a lapse from tiredness such as the '57 states' instead of '47' or Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald is minor. Can't think of a politician and especially someone running for president that hasn't gotten words twisted, etc. Its virtually impossible not to.

Would be nice to hear a candidate come up with some REAL plans on how to make things better!

Naaahhh, they talk in circles about how bad the other candidate(s) is(are) and how hey are going to make "changes"...OK, what changes? exactly ow are you going to make them...silence!!! WTF :dunno:

Actually, it probably is a non-story...EXCEPT, I took it as really, really, really reaching to try to connect with veteran's and Memorial Day, as if to make him somehow relevant to vets and the occasion. So, it really backfires on him. That is, it is NOT the â??big dealâ? or cornerstone of his familyâ??s service in the military when he canâ??t get the location or even his relatives straight. Otherwise, heâ??d know precisely the person and place. No?

Iâ??m quite sure Obama will be the Demoncratâ??s nominee, but Iâ??ve already ordered McCain hats for the party. They are â??one-size-fits allâ?Â, so unless SD wears a size bigger than 15, he will look absolutely dashing wearing one. :)

HH

<< Obama's campaign said the candidate meant to say that his great-uncle, Charlie Payne, had helped liberate a part of the Buchenwald camp, not Auschwitz.

"Yesterday he mistakenly referred to Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald in telling of his personal experience of a soldier in his family who served heroically," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

Burton said in the statement that Obama's great uncle served in the 89th Infantry Division that entered Germany in 1945 and on April 4 overran Ohrdruf, a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration camp. >>

Actually, how many folks nowadays can get what their relatives did in WWII straight?

p.s. At least Obie didn't say he'd been there HIMSELF, as Ms Hillsie would have done.

:D

Well, I know what my 3 uncles and dad did...and where. Two uncles were in the Navy, one uncle was a merchant marine, and my dad in the Army Air Corps. Not really that tough unless you're just talking off the cuff and trying (desperately) to find something relevant.

HH

From an outsider perspective the US system looks rather stupid. The candidates have to fight for months against each other who is running for president. They have to hold hundreds of speeches which are constantly refined to certain audiences, polls, pressure groups e.g. In the end the candidate has lost his charisma and might be even severely damaged.

Also the US news are constantly talking about non issues like lapel pins, whatever. And every gaffe will first put up on Youtube and than repeated hundreds of times by CNN and Fox News. Now the major channels employ high ranking former governmental policy makers like Carl Rove as *independent* commentators. Real journalism looks different.

I am sure no Western democracy is envious about the US electoral system. It's all about money, stupid remarks, manipulation and especially about mud slinging.

I wonder when when groups like the "Swift Boat Veterans" will return to try to destroy Obama like they did with other Democrats before and even with McCain in 2000...

While most Western countries and of course the Asian countries do well, the US isn't even able to maintain it's infrastructure (bridges, schools, e.g.) just like third world or East European countries. The parties involved are struggling about pseudo patriotism, abortion rights, whatever just to avoid real political solutions followed by governmental action. (By the way, we are doing well, even while we pay more than double for a gallon of gas, while the gas price increase is pushing the US car industry in the biggest recession since decades)

It all looks like a billion dollar machine by the political parties, lobbyists, major companies and the US media to manipulate and f@ck the American people. The poorer got poorer in the last decade, the middle class is going down, civil rights were reduced, workers rights were reduced, consumers rights were reduced, environmental laws were reduced, e.g.. But the rich got much much richer and the major companies received more power by deregulating the markets and softened controls, they even seem to write the laws today and became part of the government.

The US conservatives are probably the only ones world wide who don't see the US in decline. Only time will tell if this is just a slump, or a major shift of political, cultural and economical power away from the US to Asia.

And even here on the board our US fellows discuss mostly every stupid remark by Hillary, Obama or McMain which will be forgotten in an hour.

Archived