Monarchy Bites the Dust

JayT

Ahhh, once again the hypocrite, eh Roggie? Democracy is fine, as long as they vote for who you want, right? See "Hamas" and "Hezbullah."

Cheers,

SD -- has his problem in LoS with vote buying by PPP/TRT, not the "people's will"

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD - I have a problem with ALL parties vote buying - it doesn't exist for only one party.

And by vote buying do you mean providing and fulfilling promises made to the rural areas?

Sorry - but when it comes to Thailand you sound pretty much the same as RY - a total disdain to the poor people and their requests and the Democratic process.

Dude! I live in Frisco.

Berkeley, Oakland, SF, Marin - all great places to live, each with distinct charms. SF has an amazing diversity of opinions: the only thing SF'ans agree on is that one should never, ever call the City "Frisco"...

S. Tsow, whom some folks here know, was a Peace Corps vol in Nepal in the 1960s. I know he was quite concerned about the Maoists' coming to power.

Nepal's had an unbelieveable number of Peace Corps volunteers over the years, lots of Americans still connected to Nepal and lots of Nepalese with generally positive impressions of the crazy Americans who came to live in the village...

I think anyone who cares about Nepal has to be concerned to some degree about the rise of the Maoists, given their tactics during the war, their uncertain control over potential splinter factions, their reliance on rhetoric over actual accomplishments. Yet at the same time, something had to happen to break the corrupt caste and ethnicity-based setup, and the Maoists do respond to many of the problems that need to be solved before the country actually starts to pick itself up by its bootstraps. As long as they save the radical BS for the mass rallies and stick to reality in their actual politics, they can't be any worse than the King or any of the prior democratic administrations...

Archived