restaurants beating inflation

samak

my contribution for today: baan thawan gai yang, a issan restaurant (details under the review section).

ordered food for two

half grilled chicken

isaan sausages

beef nam tok

som tam poo

large bottle of chang beer

2 sticky rice

around 300 baht

forget about the 10k+ meals at italian or french eatieries, steakhouses with overpriced imported beef, roof top restaurants, hotel restaurants etc.

let's beat the inflation with down to the earth restaurants with good food!

The 'naam tok' actually means, includes the blood... :grinyes:

One of those phrases that means something other than the literal translation eh?

English is full of them as well, "taking the piss", giving someone the shits", "having a brown nose"... Former public servants will be familiar with the last one. :)

Other confusing items - 'Gai saam yang' literally translated is 'three types of chicken'. In reality it's a mixture of fresh ginger, bits of lime, peanuts, some onion bits, dried prawn and of course, 'phrik kii noo' literally translated as rat shit chili. No chicken at all, but a refreshing snack to go with the beers.

The Thais sometimes do call a spade a spade. To us, those black eggs you find at many chinese restaurants are called century eggs. The Thais call the same thing 'khai yeow maa' or 'horse piss ' eggs.

Now you know.

The 'naam tok' actually means, includes the blood... :grinyes:

Interesting. Not questioning you, just I've never had it that way. Now granted, I hang out with city folk as opposed to Issan folk, so maybe that has something to do with it...

I see it as basically a larb with slices rather than minced, meat.

Cheers,

SD -- moo nahm tok is one of my favs (but no blood)

agree with SD on that!

no idea why it is called "waterfall beef"; thai folks seem to love such picturesque names.

ever wondered why grilled beef is called "sua rong hai"? is the tiger crying because we eat his beef he would like to catch?

Archived