Scum Bush Plans To Remain in Iraq Forever

Fidel

It's because you like to act the bully and have an insidious popular culture.

And that is true' date=' too. All part of being the biggest on the block. (Though I do not think "insidious" is the correct word.)[/quote']

Insidious is probably the wrong word, but I meant that it creeps in and erodes what came before it.

Many seem to mop up your crapper TV and music, to the irritation of the rest of us. American expressions and buzzwords are creeping into UK english despite having no cultural relevance (baseball terms etc).

I actually edited my previous post to say that I think that disdain rather than hate would be more appropriate. As for actual hate, some people have religious or political reason, but for most it's just a moderate to low level distaste!

There are a few things that bug me about the USA, not least the online behaviour of people I have encountered in forums, but nothing I would call hate. In fact the few that I know are generally pretty human.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say, and this is just me speaking, that US and UK culture are almost one in the same when you look at it from just about anywhere else.

I agree. I find very few real differences among Americans, Brits, Canadians, Aussies, and Kiwis. There are some differences of political perspective of course (and I wish all of these countries including the US had more conservatives) but I think it is preposterous to claim that American popular culture is "insidious" in a way that British popular culture isn't. I think maybe the word to use here is "successful" or even "popular". ("Well-rendered"? "Skillful"? "Appealing"?)

How in particular is American popular culture distinct from that of Britain' date=' Canada, Australia, Germany, France, and the Netherlands, etc., and in what way do these distinctions render our popular culture uniquely "insidious"?

[/quote']

I would say, and this is just me speaking, that US and UK culture are almost one in the same when you look at it from just about anywhere else.

I'm Australian but live in the UK. In fact I have spent about half my life here. There are minor things between those places, but they are generally the same.

The US is possibly more diverse, and there are certain groups with who I feel little empathy, but the superficial culture is much the same. Though that's largely because we have absorbed so much of your media in the post war era.

Many seem to mop up your crapper TV and music' date=' to the irritation of the rest of us.

[/quote']

1) Locate on/off switch.

2) Set switch to "off" position.

3) Carry on.

Problem solved!

Wish it was that easy.

I think maybe the word to use here is "successful" or even "popular". ("Well-rendered"? "Skillful"? "Appealing"?)

In the same way as Coca Cola or McDonalds. Popular doesn't make it good.

You will have to define "good."

Is it good a in good for you? Or is it good in that it does not harm you? Because with those examples you would have to also use "good" as in "tastes good." (Which is why and how they got to where they are.)

Cadberry (sp?) is in the same boat with that. Is it good to the taste? Hell yes! Is it good for you in large amounts? Hell no!

Is it evil? Absolutely not.

In fact it seems that I'm spending more time around Americans than people of any other nationality in the ex-pat community these days.

Do they hate America too?

Actually, Rogue, they love America (though one of my mates just came back and said that everything is too big, he was primarily referring to the women).

Their love of America is matched by their disdain for the Bush administration.

In case you haven't noticed, my bitter little simpleton, Americans like you are in the minority. If this wasn't the case, I truely would hate Americans.

As things stand, I like them a lot.

Archived