Senate GOP blocks windfall taxes on Big Oil

cavanami

USA, the land of the free, at least the HUGE corps are free from paying taxes!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080610/ap_on_go_co/congress_oil_profits

Saved by Senate Republicans, big oil companies dodged an attempt Tuesday to slap them with a windfall profits tax and take away billions of dollars in tax breaks in response to the record gasoline prices that have the nation fuming.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll respectfully disagree with those that think a windfall profits tax is any sort of solution to high energy prices. It is nothing more than a way for people to extract political revenge for high petrol prices.

Why limit a windfall profits tax to just oil companies? Why don't we go to Microsoft or Google and say "you made too much money, so we are going to tax you more"? It seems to me this is a very slippery slope.

If the American people think that companies need to pay more taxes, then they should elect people who will change the tax code. Trying to change the tax code after the fact is just plain wrong.

Now, IF we determine that oil companies illegally manipulated markets to artificially raise oil prices, then I hope the gov't puts em all in thumb screws, and extracts every last dollar they can.

A big chunk of those profits is paid to hypocrites like me as dividends. Like lazyphil says it's a dog eat dog world and owning stock in the right companies is the only way to keep up. I pay taxes on capital gains of course which goes into social programs and weaponry. Sometimes I wonder how I live with myself.

Archived