Credit Card.. were hit...

vinod

I only had one problem with unauthorized CC puchases during decades of use. A CC company called me about a purchase of electronics equipment using a CC that I had cancelled a couple of years earlier. I told them that it looked like someone had committed a fraud against them since I had nothing to do with the purchases in question and that the CC had in fact been cancelled long ago. It was not clear why they allowed purchases to be made on a cancelled account. The CC company called me 2 - 3 x about this but nothing more happened.

You are legally not liable for unauthorized charges, so risk in using CCs is small -- unless they are used for illegal activities. Needless to say, CC leaves a paper trail, so CC records are commonly used in crime investigation.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have one C/C which i only ever use to withdraw cash in the UK.

i would never dream of using it abroad wether paying a bill or in an ATM.

what cash i have in my pocket is what i have and if i can't afford something then i don't buy it.

i know what my budget is for a Night out and take enough cash to cover what i need.

Interesting post....

Is the CC a recent acquisition???

Late last year during discussions about Board sponsorship, I seem to recall you posting (by way of an excuse ) that you had neither a CC or Cheque book.....

...for someone who "drinks" my memory is usually pretty damn good.......So I used the Search function and found Post #645905 dated 12/11/07

Guess what....

Cheers DS :beer:

I don't use the CC much in LOS. Just hotel and some restaurants. Never had a problem though.

Same here. Just hotels.

Last trip I visited Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya, and Bangkok. I only use American Express for hotels. I use one credit card just for trips.

So a year later, I see on my credit card bill an airline ticket purchase from Hawaii to Anchorage to Seattle R/T with some Russian or Slovac name.

One call to American Express and all is taken care of.

But it was one of those hotels that has a thief or a security problem.

:wave:

Most people that travel on business must use a CC, renting cars, hotels, business meals, booking online air travel, etc.

My CC give "points" and I have gotten many a free thing from them...from free air tickets to vacations spots and even gift certificates where I can buy what I want.

It would be uncomfortable for me to not have and use a CC.

you are indeed correct.

my ATM(and that's all it was,i could only withdraw money) card was up for renewal and when the new one arrived it had a Visa logo on it and i queried the card.

the bank said it was making things easy for people by not having to carry lots of different cards.

no problem for me as i DON'T have to use the Visa function and i DON'T.

i've had the card since February and the good thing about it is that i have been able to book hotels(travelling a lot at the moment)on-line with the card # as a booking aid but i pay cash at the end of my stay.

every Month my card bill arrives and shows a mimimum to pay as zilch.

i am wary of C/C's and after explaining in another post about how i had severe financial problems due to the ex i have never really wanted one.

as to my 'excuse' at not becoming a sponsor.

at the time i did not have the means to send the required fee,but now i have.

but i am reluctant to send cash using my card after hearing bad stories.

i would rather give the cash to someone from the UK who was going to Thailand to give to KS personally.

but if you are going to have a pop at me then when i finish this post i will sign up and get one of those orange thingies against my name.

still apprenhensive about the process though..............

i know what my budget is for a Night out and take enough cash to cover what i need.

Yes i carry budgeted cash for the night, but sometimes, when your are there for 2 or 3 nights and in party mood, with all those tilacs telling you "u jee dee, hansom man" in go-go bars, with all of them on you lap, the tab's run's more then 5 to 6k.

Given the industry I work, I would say we are nerd's :( sitting more 12 hrs a day looking at computer screens given a chance / break, I would would luv party.... end of the day why u earn when u cannot enjoy... :):)

When the tabs run more than 5k I use the card. :( ... over the year's it is 1st time I had this cc fraud.......

cheers

but if you are going to have a pop at me then when i finish this post i will sign up and get one of those orange thingies against my name...

Well done!!!!!! :beer::beer:

Not havin a "Pop"....just asking (what I think) is a legit Q??? No????

Cheers DS :beer::beer:

luckily enough i never took a C/C to Thailand and was never tempted to spend more than i had in my pocket.

when the cash was gone i just went back to the hotel.

but then again i normally went out with 10-15k in my pocket...Baht of course.

so rarely did i leave the Nightlife areas due to lack of funds..........

but if you are going to have a pop at me then when i finish this post i will sign up and get one of those orange thingies against my name...

Well done!!!!!! :beer::beer:

Not havin a "Pop"....just asking (what I think) is a legit Q??? No????

Cheers DS :beer::beer:

i'm not happy.

about an Hour since i signed up as a sponser and still no orange thingie..... :(

got the message thanking me for sending $30(is that enough?)and still i am not one of the elite.... :sad:

i'm devastated after a long,boring Night shift and about to go to bed.

i will be tossing and turning fretting about this........... :shakehead

Archived