Credit Card.. were hit...

vinod

Hi

It is 1st time during the last 10 yrs., travelling in SE Asia that my CC was just swiped for Bhat 95,000 today :surprised::surprised:

I was sitting in office in midst of meeting and I get a call from my banker asking me are in Thia :(:(

I tell them I am working like a donkey with the IT going down the drain and under pressure, here we have lady telling me there is charge for 95K.

I did, stupid things during my last visit in May'08 when I gave my card in Nana & CB (check bins running more then 3k) in the bars as I was too lazy to vist ATM for cash. Looks like one of these guys thought can have a ball with my Platinum card........

it does not end there... the banker wanted a lot of documentation like my entire photocopies of passport and other papers to deny the charges.

Also all my others cards which I hold with the banker are cancelled and a fresh set of crads are being sent :banghead::banghead:

Did any have gone thru this......

cheers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did, stupid things during my last visit in May'08 when I gave my card in Nana & CB (check bins running more then 3k) in the bars as I was too lazy to vist ATM for cash. Looks like one of these guys thought can have a ball with my Platinum card........

Sorry no sympathy at all, Its a well know fact that CC Fraud in Thailand is rife, much more so 15+ years ago when Carbon Paper was used and the Carbon was hunted out of the dumpsters at 2 AM.

Who in their right mind would go out to a red light district with less than GBP50 in their skyrocket and then pay by CC, chalk it down to experience and move on.

I agree, I was stupid to use in RL places.... never had a problem with the hotels... lucky the charge is not from the hotels and my banker would not even bothered to call, as during my vistis the charge would run more than 100k during a week to 10 days stay.

cheers

Vinod,

As I said, put it down to experience, cut your losses and be a bit more careful next time, you are not the first guy it has happened to and probably not the last.

If I was to say that in my 20+ years in Asia that I have not been scammed I would be a liar,just dont allow yourself to be scammed twice.

Sorry but serves you well...

Only time I had problems with my CC was back in Europe...Got a receipt from my bank mentioning that I used my CC to buy stuff with a total amoung of 4K

(euros) in Jakarta...

As I have never been to Indonesia, I just filled a complaint with my bank -> just showing papers proving that I was working in Europe at the same date.

Appeared later that some parts of the bank's database had been "visited"...

Never used my CC in Thailand except for ATM emergency.

Even when it comes to buy a 30-50K bht membership in a G club -> I pay cash...no way with my CC

I had about $200 USD nicked from my card about five years ago.

It was either when I paid my hotel bill with the card in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia or when I got my visa, on-line for Bahrain and I expect it was the gang in Bahrain as I had used the same hotel in Malaysia for several years without a problem.

I monitor my CC charges at least weekly so I caught it right off and had the card canceled. No expense for me, just the hassle of getting the card canceled and then waiting for the new card, which they would not send to Thailand so I waited for a trip back to the USA to collect the card.

That was the first on-line scam that I have ever had using the CC :dunno:

Archived