Typical Judicial Activism In U.S.

Hugh_Hoy

For all those say that the death penalty is "not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child"...

how about we line you up to be raped?

or line up your children to be raped?

or children who have been raped, maybe they want to throw the "first stone"!

I *** will *** throw the "first stone" and initiate the death penalty for these rapist animals!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not the point.

And besides, the death penalty has NEVER been proven to be a deterrent. And this atheist is man enough to say the no matter the reason, killing is wrong.

If you are a Xtian (or Buddhist)...what part of "thou shall not kill" do you NOT understand? Period. End of discussion.

Capital punishment is simply for the blood-lust of the victim's family. Not a deterrent, not a punishment per se. Simply self-gratification. That should not be encouraged in a civilized society.

If you disagree, give me reasons why. Outside of the "they deserve it" meme. That's what separates us from animals and terrorists.

Or do you WANT to be just like them?

Cheers,

SD -- would rather be dead anyway than in a cage for umpteen years...

You mean the edict from SCOTUS that expediency was more important than what the voters wanted?

The votes in Florida were counted and then recounted according to the established procedures. President Bush won both counts and thus the Presidency. This is what the voters wanted as enshrined in their Constitution. What came after was a cynical attempt to steal the election by Gore and a relative handful of abettors and the USSC shut it down.

Cry all you want. Those are the facts.

Capital punishment is simply for the blood-lust of the victim's family. Not a deterrent, not a punishment per se. Simply self-gratification. That should not be encouraged in a civilized society.

If you disagree, give me reasons why.

The issue here is the meaning of the Eighth Amendment, not all of this nonsense.

Don't ask for my opinion' date=' I'm totally against the death penalty. Barbaric anachronistic practice. [/quote']

There are separate issues here. One is whether the death penalty is an appropriate punishment in certain cases or ever. Another issue is how the people of a constitutional republic should determine whether and when the death penalty is applied.

I am somewhat ambivalent regarding the death penalty, but I am foursquare against judicial tyranny.

How do you feel about this, then, from a recent American media article?:

"Authorities said that 290 of the 345 arrests made this week were adult prostitutes. Most will be charged with state crimes. However, increasingly, federal prosecutors have brought charges in cases involving juveniles because federal penalties are much more harsh than state penalties, officials said."

RY, I don't recall seeing a post from you decrying 'judicial tyranny' (I love your use of words, so much is implied) when the judgement decreed favoured your 'opinions'.

I guess your 'foursquare' sentiments emerge only when it is a judgement you disagree with, right?

So, going back to your earlier post, how would the people of a constitutional republic determine the appropriateness of the death penalty? What system would you favour? If judgements by judges equal 'judicial tyranny', how should such instances be decided?

Furthermore, you're ambivalent on the death penalty you state. You are 'one of the people' of the constitutional republic, therefore how could an opinion be sought from such people as your good self, if you are 'sitting on the fence'?

RY, I don't recall seeing a post from you decrying 'judicial tyranny'... when the judgement decreed favoured your 'opinions'.

I guess your 'foursquare' sentiments emerge only when it is a judgement you disagree with, right?

False. Show me where I have expressed support for judicial activism with which I have agreed based on its result. Hasn't happened.

So, going back to your earlier post, how would the people of a constitutional republic determine the appropriateness of the death penalty?

Through legistative action, such as when the Louisiana State Legislature passed the law that is the subject of today's USSC ruling. Those States that favor no death penalty or sharply restricted death penalty already have this. They simply elect legislators to carry out their wishes and it is done. Further, if enough Americans decide that there shold be no death penalty anywhere in America for any reason, and if some States yet allow it, then the death penalty opponents can organize efforts to amend the Constitution to forbid executions. The procedures for doing so were spelled out explicitly in the Constitution for exactly such instances by our genius and inspired founders.

Guest lazyphil

of course its not a deterent but i'm all for blood lust for the family. even if it gives a tiny amount of relief from the pain of loss and saves hard working tax payers dollars from keeping them alive. i'm for the chinese mobile organ harvesting trucks too. :)

Archived