Teen arrested for 'blasphemous T-shirt'

Bangkoktraveler

Guest lazyphil

japan and burma have done some heinous things and they are buddhists countrys. lets not put buddhists on the pedastool, they're human afterall.

so how about the many many christians who dont cause suffering and pain?.....dont their feelings count?....should they be insulted?.....christian aid for example do sterling work in many non christian countrys. but i grant you countrys that proffess to be christian based have done wicked things here and there.

for the record i'm church of england (prod) but i assure you not a fanatic or of much faith, but i object to insulting morons.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LP,

True, no doubt that more Christians are peaceful people just going about their business than not. Also true that some very good work is done by religeous groups of all denominations.

However, that doesn't make them above reproach. Where I live there is a church on every corner and my freedom to do several activites has been taken by the people around me who create laws (based on their beliefs and their intention to save me from hell for playing bingo on fucking Sunday) when I think it's just a fairy tale about an invisible man in the sky. Add to that all the suffering religeon causes throughout the world...from actual inquisitions to families being torn apart because the Jewish mother can't stand to see her son fall in love with a Christian girl...and it's all because of this invisible guy in the sky.

So, yes, I like to see them get taken down a peg. If people want to believe in fairy tales this is their right, but I have the right to call them on it. If they are insulted, tough shit, they insult me all the time.

As for the other examples, Choc Steve compared it to people with anti-black messages, and you compared it to anti-Buddhist messages. I was just saying that the organized Christian church (but not necessarily each individual Christian) has caused far more damage to the human condition than the other examples and was thus more deserving of receiving some disrespectful rebuke. I stand by that. I think the more that organized restrictive religeons are debunked and challenged, the better society will be for it.

In my life I do not go out of my way to insult anybody and am fairly easy to get along with (I think) but our culture is getting so it's very hard to stand up to the religeous correctness that says we have to respect what the "invisible man in the sky" people say and do, that it's awfully hard not to be ruled by the guy even if we don't believe in him. Which is why I kinda admire somebody with the guts to tell em to go shove it up their ass.

I also enjoyed the idea of the Danish cartoons of Muhommed and was dismayed that it became practically illegal to show disrespect to Muslims regardless of what you believe, or in what country you lived in.

Maybe if we DIDN'T have to respect everybody so much...maybe if offensive images were more common, then people would get over themselves and just go about their business.

Archived