Teen arrested for 'blasphemous T-shirt'

Bangkoktraveler

News.com.au

June 25, 2008

A GOLD Coast teenager who wore a T-shirt by English extreme metal band Cradle of Filth that reads 'Jesus is a c**t' has been charged with offensive behaviour.

Above the offensive slogan a nun is depicted masturbating.

A 16-year-old was arrested on Monday for wearing the shirt and was charged with offensive behaviour under the Summary Offences Act 2005 for public nuisance.

Senior Sergeant Arron Ottaway said the teen was walking along Hollywell Road, in Biggera Waters, when a officer saw him.

Police conducted inquiries at Australia Fair, where the teen said he bought the shirt, to find any shops selling it.

The Reverend Matt Hunt of the Helensvale Baptist Church said it was sad people spoke about the Lord in such a way.

"It's fairly common language these days to express sadness, anger or hurt," he said. "It's a degrading word to use and Jesus is anything but that. It's like calling white black."

Mr Hunt said using the Lord's name in vain was a serious sin.

"When someone comes to the point of saying Jesus is the devil or Jesus is 'expletive', the Bible does say be very careful because you're on thin ice."

Gold Coast lawyer Bill Potts said the arrest highlighted Australia's need for a Bill of Rights.

"One of the great problems with our country is that we talk about rights such as privacy and freedom of speech and the like but they are not enshrined or protected in any way as they are in America," he said.

"While there are always limits on freedom of speech, you can't incite violence or anything like that, it seems to be now more than ever that our rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression should be protected.

"A Bill of Rights which enshrines that protection is long overdue in this country."

Mr Potts said charging the teen was 'ludicrous' and brought the law into disrepute.

"A shirt might offend some and might be amusing to others," he said.

"If a person was wearing the shirt in a church or a religious rally where it was specifically intended to offend or cause disruption, then perhaps the prosecution might stand a chance.

"However, to criminalise juvenile or boorish messages is to bring the law into disrepute. The police are acting like the thought police and censors."

Link

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"While there are always limits on freedom of speech, you can't incite violence or anything like that, it seems to be now more than ever that our rights to freedom of speech and freedom of expression should be protected.

"A Bill of Rights which enshrines that protection is long overdue in this country."

Mr Potts said charging the teen was 'ludicrous' and brought the law into disrepute.

"A shirt might offend some and might be amusing to others," he said.

Interesting to see where this all ends up.. :p

Personally I found it amusing, a nice double meaning in the slogan...god is love after all!...

Religion is the refuge of the feeble-minded, in my oh so very humble opinion of course...which means of course I might be wrong and I don't mean to offend anyone by such statements...etc etc...

Fair enough question, Fidel. Even now, the political left in America is trying to revoke the right of free speech, using such an outrageous euphemism such as "the fairness doctrine".

On the other hand, "right-wingers" as you put it, such as myself LOVE to own guns, etc...but aren't happy to see people burning the American flag.

Seems we're all protective of the rights we agree with and don't defend (or even wish to make illegal) rights that we find offensive.

There is a broad concept in the USA called "community standards". I'm no expert on it, but the idea that a "community of one mind", Mormons, Quakers, hippie love-communes, etc...may want to have local laws reflect their values is many times protected. Not having an X-rated theater in a Quaker village comes to mind. But in a larger community, New York, Los Angeles, etc...such exclusive laws can't be applied.

I remember some years back, Anita Bryant, anti-homosexual agenda activist, represented wholesome America. Kids who traveled all the way to Disneyland were turned away at the gates for having offensive t-shirts or dyed hair.

Religion is the refuge of the feeble-minded, in my oh so very humble opinion...

I believe it was Jesus himself who said roughly, "...the sick need a physician not the healthy."

But then again he had some rather harsh things to say about those who reject it completely.

He certainly wasn't a big fan of organized religion as it was practiced in his day. Condemning both the conservatives (pharisees) and liberals (Sadducees / scribes). Always gives me a good laugh when I read it.

Archived