Thai Airways Cancels flights to New York

jon46

Effective July 1, 2008, all flights to and from New York have been cancelled. Thai Airways also announced that they will sell the 4 aircrafts (airbus 340) that were used during this route.

The principle reason for the cancellation is the high price of fuel.

What a bummer as I was hoping for fly nonstop from JFK to Bangkok in the not-so-distant future.

with landing and taking off using a lot ore fuel than cruising you'd think long haul was the way to go to get people to distant ports with high fuel!

I guess the high costs though = less customers = ore fuel used getting from Bkk to NY :(

Effective July 1, 2008, all flights to and from New York have been cancelled. Thai Airways also announced that they will sell the 4 aircrafts (airbus 340) that were used during this route.

The principle reason for the cancellation is the high price of fuel.

What a bummer as I was hoping for fly nonstop from JFK to Bangkok in the not-so-distant future.

Did this couple times. Premium Economy.

Just seemed so much better time wise. With no 5 hour layover is Seoul Hong Kong or wherever. Plane was full last trip.

But I guess those planes are gas hogs and they are selling (or trying to) those planes.

I still have some points with Korean Airlines - wonder if they are any good - now.

:wave:

Singapore's Newark-SIN is now all business class with the LAX-SIN flight changing to all business class in the next few months. The 340-500 is a nice ride but is a gas hog. Maybe they need to try the 777-200 LR. Same range but better economics. Not weight restricted, passengers and freight that is, like the 340-500.

Some good info on www.flyertalk.com on the TG flight from JFK. Lotsa folks getting shafted on their JFK-BKK itineraries and getting rerouted ... especially being downgraded from PE to E.

Similar stories about SQ downgrading people from PE to E, despite having paid a surcharge for the PE product.

Yeah, some guy took SQ to court in LA over that a couple of weeks ago. They canceled his non-stop from LA and re-accommodated him in economy via Tokyo on the return part of his journey back to Thailand.

He was originally in PE but was demanding business class, and had several correspondences with the airline over it, but they wouldn't budge. I suppose if he just changed his travel date, he could have gotten PE.

Anyway, the judge was sympathetic, and found a nice way to tell him, "you're fooked."

Guy probably reads this board too. :)

Archived