Computer games...?

Old Hippie

Hi,

Ok, fair enough, but then you are basing your entire argument on the popularity of ONE game. That to me does not show that 'online games that you pay for are the future in gaming'.

To me this shows that Blizzard made a kick-ass game that is hugely popular.

Sanuk!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a sims 2, this one doesn't count as recent either.

The Sims (50 million, 70 million including expansions)

Sorry playstation 2 is not recent, remove these from your list.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (17.5 million)

Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (14.89 million shipped)

Grand Theft Auto III (14.5 million)

Gran Turismo 4 (10.06 million shipped)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (12 million)

And nintendo DS, I believe I already addressed hand held systems earlier. There is no viable online market to compare it too as of yet. If you want to make a fair comparison it should be where online pay/play is readily available. DS Games:

Nintendogs (18.67 million)

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (14.77 million)

New Super Mario Bros. (14.16 million)

Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (12.98 million)

Mario Kart DS (10.45 million)

That leaves you with:

Wii games:

Wii Sports (21.56 million)

Wii Play (11.51 million)

A PC game:

The Sims 2 (13 million)

Hi,

Ok, fair enough, but then you are basing your entire argument on the popularity of ONE game. That to me does not show that 'online games that you pay for are the future in gaming'.

To me this shows that Blizzard made a kick-ass game that is hugely popular.

Sanuk!

You aren't going to get an accurate representation of the pay-to-play games anywhere. Why? Because they take many forms. Some do monthly charges, some do yearly charges, some do free play with purchasable items ingame.

WoW is merely a benchmark for new game developers to follow suit.

Edit:(To post less.. haha)

Try taking the percentage growth per year for pay games and for 1 time purchase games.. :)

Hi,

"You aren't going to get an accurate representation of the pay-to-play games anywhere."

So, then what are you basing your claim on? Sorry, but all of your arguments seem to center around 'WoW has 10M subscribers' as this so far is the only hard fact you have brought forward.

"Try taking the percentage growth per year for pay games and for 1 time purchase games.."

Comparing an established market with an upcoming one? Wouldn't that be apples and oranges as well?

Sanuk!

Hi,

"Gran Turismo 4 (10.06 million shipped)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (12 million)"

Both of these were released roughly at the same time as WoW, which would 'leave' me with 5 games vs your 1. Sounds like I am still in the lead :)

Oh, and that is for games over 10M. If we do the same for games over, say 3M, you would still be at 1, but I'd be able to add another couple dozen.

Sanuk!

14/07/2008 16:36 - Post#703046

In response to kamui - Computer games...?

The guy standing behind TB - I mean he's 70 posts behind TB and can;t catch up - sad isn't it

SuaDum

Loc: �รึ����อ...

Reg: 17/09/2003

14/07/2008 18:40 - Post#703063

In response to CTO - Computer games...?

At least OH's posts have some content. So that's harder. Therefore I am much more impressed with OH's numbers than TB's...

Cheers,

SD

Thanks guys, but really, numbers mean nothing other than I/we have too much time on our hands, and should really go get more of a life.

Archived