Computer games...?

Old Hippie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Try taking the percentage growth per year for pay games and for 1 time purchase games.."

Comparing an established market with an upcoming one? Wouldn't that be apples and oranges as well?

Sanuk!

No, it wouldn't. You compared a span of years vs current. I'm saying to compare both at a specific point in time before, then both at a point in time now.

Oh, and that is for games over 10M. If we do the same for games over, say 3M, you would still be at 1, but I'd be able to add another couple dozen.

Again you miss the point entirely. There is no 10m games vs 10m games since they operate on different streams of revenue. Online monthly pay have both the initial box revenue + monthly revenue. Each game sold with a subscription that is active is worth substantially more then somebody who buys a game once then never pays another dime.

Hi,

"Each game sold with a subscription that is active is worth substantially more then somebody who buys a game once then never pays another dime."

Is it? One time payment means the company has created a game, sell it, (hopefully) makes a profit on it and starts to produce the next game to repeat the cycle.

For online games, the development cycle is continuous as is the revenue stream.

Who is to say that creating multiple games one after another doesn't generate more revenue that constantly updating the same game.

"I'm saying to compare both at a specific point in time before, then both at a point in time now."

Yes, but an increase of x million units sold in one of the markets isn't the same as the same number of units sold in the other market.

Getting a 10% increase in a large market that is already fully established is much harder than getting a 10% increase in a small market that is still evolving.

Sanuk!

Blizzard got lucky as well as DAOC and a few others because they got the "right recipe".

To be fair, I dont think they got lucky, they started out pretty small with a variation of warcraft and built on it. Wow is just the latest incarnation but you are right, they have the right recipe as the game caters for everyone, whether you are a newbie to MMPORGS or a pro. The other thing to say is that they dont sit on their laurels, the world of Azeroth (you can tell I am a hardcore wow player here) is forever changing. The game itself can be played in several different ways or a combination from questing, instances (groups of players in dungeons), pvp, battlegrounds etc.

Someone once described it as digital crack and they aren't far wrong.

I've asked this before but are there any cafes in Pattaya where they have wow installed ?.....no....must.....resist :)

Hi,

"Gran Turismo 4 (10.06 million shipped)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (12 million)"

Both of these were released roughly at the same time as WoW, which would 'leave' me with 5 games vs your 1. Sounds like I am still in the lead :)

Oh, and that is for games over 10M. If we do the same for games over, say 3M, you would still be at 1, but I'd be able to add another couple dozen.

Sanuk!

The new kid on the block, Age of Conan has reportedly overtaken Wow....so personally I believe the future is online gaming with monthly fee's. How much these guys can get away with charging per month is another kettle of fish...

Archived