US Iraq war hero Joseph Dwyer dies of apparent drugs overdose

Bangkoktraveler

Telegraph.co.uk

A US army medic who became a symbol of American heroism and integrity in the Iraq war has died of an apparent drugs overdose.

The premature death of Joseph Dwyer at the age of 31 has highlighted the neglect many American veterans believe they face once they return home.

He was made famous by a photograph, taken in March 2003 during the first week of the war, in which he is seen running to a makeshift hospital.

joseph-dwyer-404_686028c.jpg

In his arms, the soldier was cradling an injured Iraqi boy who he had rescued from crossfire.

Suspicion is he OD'ed intentionally. I went through some of the same things he did, but Dwyer just couldn't seem to get over it. (Even now I avoid stepping on places that could be mined or booby trapped. :p )

I know what you mean...I think I might have been trying to drink mine away all those years. Sad is, there are others like him, who might have been able to help...others like him, who will unfortunately go the same route.

You develop conditioned reflexes in order to survive in war time. It's not easy to shut them off afterwards.

Medics have a tough job. They get to see all the casualties close up, sometimes of both sides and civilians too. It's a heart breaking job.

Archived