Is Thai Food generally healthy?

AD1985

Budget is not a problem, I can afford a more expensive place but one of my objectives is going to be saving money so I would like to minimize expenses reasonably.

One thing that is required is living around the school I will be attending (Assumption University) My plan is to find where the apartments are on the cheap end and live there with a window AC I buy myself, and maybe a small kitchette area if I have room.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"with a window AC I buy myself"

You might want to reconsider that. First of all, I don't think I've ever seen one for sale here. Secondly, I doubt you'd be able to install it. And finally, even if you are able to install it, I doubt the apartment owner would let you.

Just find yourself a place with aircon. Much easier.

Sanuk!

Of course what you say PS makes sense, but the reality is quite different in my experience. I eat street food all the time and have never been sick from it.

Until recently, I'd say the same (and laugh at the people who shied away from street food :grin: ). I like my food as spicy as the Thais and I didn't usually get the shits either. But for the last six months, I've been eating food from supermarkets and simple but clean restaurants like Took Lae Dee and I've noticed how nice it is to NEVER have the shits! :)

I like durian (well, I did until I looked up the calories... :shocked: ) but even that is at risk. Cheaper on the street at night than pre-packed in my local Tops but the last street portion I had gave me the shits. I blame unwashed street hands!

BTW, window AC's are called that because they fit in openings in external walls, same as windows do, and not because they fit in windows! Unless there is an existing opening, which can be uncovered, then it is highly unlikely that you will be able to install one.

The window ACs I'm familiar with use a window opening for mounting. Only requirement is the window is the proper type (not horizontal sliding) and size.

I'm thinking of getting a dehumidifier instead now. I don't have an AC right now and even the hottest days this year didn't bother me that much, but wet heat definitely bothers me. I think a good dehumidifier should be enough

Outside of the shipping costs, and lack of appropriate window space, and the fact that LoS is 220V (not 110), its a great idea LOL!

Seriously, perhaps you should take a holiday here first before you decide to move here. Real life is not like school -- you can't make life altering decisions using other people's opinions/observations and by reading some books/forums.

No offense intended. Since you've asked, I'm just trying to head the train wreck off at the pass...

Cheers,

SD -- seen it too many times before

Archived