Do I want this Software ?

gawguy

I just bought a good used Thinkpad T43. It came with a lot of interesting software on board. There are a couple of programs I'm not sure I want:

1) Symantec Anti-Virus 2006 - Is this a resource hog? Will I have to pay to get updates annually? I have always used AVG Free and never had a virus get through that I know of?

2) Bit Torrent: I basically don't download songs or movies. I look at streaming video and shorts that run on Media Player. Does Bit Torrent automatically speed such downloads? Or do you have to go to "Torrent sites" to get media that BT helps download? OR should I be using BT, that is, get with the program and join the 21st century?

I don't mind keeping it on my drive for future use as long as it doesn't load anything and slow my system. Does it?

Your input will be appreciated.

2) Bit Torrent: I basically don't download songs or movies. I look at streaming video and shorts that run on Media Player. Does Bit Torrent automatically speed such downloads?
No.

Or do you have to go to "Torrent sites" to get media that BT helps download? OR should I be using BT, that is, get with the program and join the 21st century?

"BitTorrent may refer to:

* BitTorrent (protocol), a peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) communications protocol

* BitTorrent client, a program that downloads files using the BitTorrent protocol"

The above quote is from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorent

All the info you need is linked to from there.

Basically, you open a .torrent file (gotten from a bittorent site) in a bittorent client to join a bunch of people sharing a file on the net.

Hi,

why not open symantec anti virus and check the license status. Maybe it was only a trial with the license already expired. In this case your decision is quite easy.

Expired or not, Norton 2006 is outdated, therefore I would deinstall it.

Hi,

Bittorrent is great if you like to download music, movies and/or software.

If you don't do that, there's no need for the software though. And if you do, download and use utorrent instead, it's much better.

Sanuk!

KS, The new version of BT is much better than Utorrent, this is coming from someone who has used both over the years. Granted when Utorrent came out it put BT to shame, was less memory intensive and more stable but the newest version of BT seems even better.

1) Symantec Anti-Virus 2006 - Is this a resource hog? Will I have to pay to get updates annually? I have always used AVG Free and never had a virus get through that I know of?

I purchased a laptop with a one year license to Symantec. Once installed it gets updates and is up-to-date. At the end of a year, you have to pay to renew your subscription. I went through the renewal procedure expecting to download a new updated version of the software and instead received a message that a CD was being mailed to me (my credit card billing address, Atlanta (where my son lives) - but, I live in Thailand). The result was that I was not up-to-date and a virus took over my laptop. I managed to replace the OS, Windows XP, with Vista and Live OneCare anti-virus. As a result, I am fine (can do anything I care to do) except I still can not execute Administrator commands and am working with Microsoft to resolve.

I was in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago for my sons wedding. I walked around the area, not just downtown (having spent time there before). Found instances of nice upscale restaurants and businesses prospering but also many empty buildings, empty homes, homes for sale, foreclosures - in very decent locations - walking distance to Centennial Park. To me, Atlanta's downtown vicinity looked like it is experiencing a financial downturn and could worsen. What are your thoughts?

Archived