Japanese bankruptcies on the rise

Bangkoktraveler

The slumping Japanese economy is taking a toll on the country's companies, with 24 percent more firms seeking bankruptcy over last year, analysts said.

Credit research firm Teikoku Databank says that 1,131 Japanese companies filed for bankruptcy in July, a 24 percent surge over July 2007, indicating the country is facing harsh business conditions, the Financial Times reported Saturday.

Teikoku Databank warned that tight lending conditions would likely make for even more bankruptcies going forward.

"The domestic economy is being affected by the concurrence of rising prices and slumping economic activity and it is expected that the revenue environment for companies will deteriorate," the firm said. "It would not be surprising for a major bankruptcy to occur any day."

The Financial Times said the severity of the downturn was pointed out by level of debt held by the bankrupt companies, which more than doubled compared to last July's bankrupt corporations at $5.8 billion.

Link

Interesting....so when is the global slump going to effect Thailand? Especially in relation to property prices?

The lookout in Europe is very bad. In GB and Spain the housing market is already collapsing. In Germany wholesale prices have the strongest increase in 27 years (10%). Where ever you look, it looks bad. Even the Chinese stock market is going down.

Sooner or later LOS will be hit hard.

I recall during the '90s, Japan was still mired somewhat from the heady '80s slip up they had.

Did they ever make it out and enjoy the economic upturn the rest of us did?

Have not heard much about them. In the '80s they were going to rule the world and was buying American buildings and real estate like you guys buying BGs in Soi Cowboy.

Interesting....so when is the global slump going to effect Thailand? Especially in relation to property prices?

You mean 'affect'.

I'd say it has started already.

No, I meant effect...as in a consequence/result.

I've only seen inflation in LOS, I want to see property prices fall. I've yet to see any evidence of that.

You mean 'affect'.

I'd say it has started already.

No' date=' I meant effect...as in a consequence/result.

I've only seen inflation in LOS, I want to see property prices fall. I've yet to see any evidence of that.

[/quote']

To affect something is to have an effect on it. To effect something is to make it happen.

If you say "When is the global slump going to effect Thailand", you're asking when is that event going to produce Thailand.

Asking when is the global slump going to produce a country called Thailand doesn't make any sense. So 'affect' is the word you're looking for. Using 'affect' in your sentence makes sense.

(No, this isn't another case for you arguing the toss for 20+ pages. Argue with the dictionary if you like, I'm not going to bother. :) )

Evidence of the global slump affecting Thailand is easy to see in the economic figures for inflation, etc.

In a saving-face, not-quite-free-market society, you're not going to see evidence of property prices falling as easily (i.e. openly on big boards) as you might in the west but properties aren't being snapped up as quickly, they're remaining empty longer, etc, etc. Lots of conspicuously empty lots... I suspect that real prices behind 'face' figures could be much lower.

Why? You sound like you're interested in buying. I'd wait a while longer if I were you...

Archived