Japanese bankruptcies on the rise

Bangkoktraveler

Nope, it is affect, as you were looking for a verb. Bibblies is spot on. From the Lynch style guide:

[color:purple]Affect versus Effect

An easily confused pair. Affect with an a is usually a verb; effect with an e is (usually) a noun. When you affect something, you have an effect on it. The usual adjective is effective, which means "having the right effect," or "getting the job done" â?? an effective medicine, for instance. (It can also mean "in effect," as in "the new policy is effective immediately.") [/color]

Cheers,

SD -- has edited professionally...

I'm interested in buying several properties...and yes I'm thinking of waiting, or maybe offering lower prices to those asked. I want a Bangkok home, then maybe a holiday condo some sunny place, like Phuket. Then I may buy a couple to rent out.

As a person who's been known to rush in too soon after a crash or two, I'd say hold off a year. People will take that long to get realistic about prices. And that's just westerners. Thai people? With the issue of 'face' and compliance of banks not calling in loans when they should be called in, who knows? You've seen buildings stay empty for years rather than be sold from the last crisis, right? To me, there seem to be far too many new buildings going up.

This is only my inexpert opinion though. (It's not like the dictionary, where it's an agreed standard that you can't sanely dispute... :) )

I can dispute anything I want and who said anything about me being sane? :neener:

I guess I will hold off....any recommendations on investments in the meantime?

I guess renting it is then....

What do you think about offering lower prices to the those asked?

I've had a good look around...there doesn't seem to be any agreed pricing structure...it seems totally ad-hoc. One condo I looked at was 1 bed, 85 sqm and was going for 5.3 million baht....then I saw a 3 bed condo (103 sqm) for 5.5 million baht...in my oh so humble not at all sane opinion, the 3 bed was far superior to the 1 bed in every way, not just in size, but in location, facilities and floor. The condo market seems to be weird in Thailand.

Archived