You Ever Had the DTs? What was it like?

Fiery Jack

These: delirium tremens, the horrors, the fear, the shakes, jazz hands, the rats, rum fits, jitterbugs, the boozers' break-dance, the whisky hip-hop, the electric theatre... I've had them umpteen (well, five or six) times, of course. :drunk: No surprises there, then. :rolleyes: But there must be some other alkies on here who've done the 'sweaty bed karate'? :p

I'm not making light of the subject. :nono: Just treating it with my usual joy: what else can I do? But some of us were gassing about it in the pub last night, and comparing experiences, visuals and aural. It was interesting. :hmmm:

I can only speak for myself. :clown: For me, the old DTs were actually very interesting, and controllable. I got to enjoy it, no kidding. If you've had enough downers (valium, tamazepam, whatever the f*ck it's called), and have a day or two to spare, the DTs are no problem. Fun, really. Like a free acid trip: great visuals, and groovy aural stuff. :_party: Without downers, they're unbearable, like. :doah: I had DTs-induced alcoholic seizures once or twice. :yikes: Not recommended, kids. :nono: Have a drink instead if the DTs come at you and you've no downers in the house. :drunk: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :content:

Ah, those were the f*cking days... Chimes at midnight, master shallow... :drunk:

Large mechanical bird-like creatures flying round the room that were scary at first :o but I quickly got used to them and knew they meant me no harm. :) I found I could kind of control them, get them to fly where I wanted them to, get them to disapear if I concentrated hard enough. :offline:

Then the people came. Family members and old friends mostly, some of them long dead, and sundry strangers, who'd sit or stand in the corners of the room and look at me and sometimes talk. :p They were all friendly. The Pet Shop Boys once dropped in, I recall, and sat and had a chat. Nice pair of blokes. :hug:

I found that I could control them too, and never felt threatened. It really was quite interesting, certainly entertaining. I've taken quite a bit of acid in my time, : :hippie: and it was not dissimilar to a mild and very pleasant acid trip. Without the giggling. :rotfl:

The aural hallucinations, which I got more often than the visuals, were wonderful. :up: I could created musics. I could think of a band or singer I like, then create original songs by them in my head, have them play whole concerts. :D Johnny Cash, Don Williams, Suede, Suicide, The Ramones, Motorhead, Lou Reed: I had them all in my living room with myself conducting. :applause: If only I'd been able to record it. :(

Anyway, I understand that speech of Caliban in The Tempest now.

Caliban: Be not afeard: the isle is full of noises,

Sounds and sweet airs that give delight, and hurt not.

Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments

Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices,

That, if I then had wak'd after long sleep,

Will make me sleep again; and then, in dreaming,

The clouds methought would open and show riches

Ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd,

I cried to dream again...

The DTs were exactly like that for me. With the Pet Shop Boys dropping in and whatnot.

Oh, and yes, there were odd flowers, crystalline things, that would appear large and vivid right before my eyes. And, yes, as you say, they'd be devoid of presence or substance when I reached out for them. My hands would pass straight through and the spell would be broken and they'd vanish.

But they'd come again. I could summon them.

It really was illuminating. You can understand why people get tricked into believing in Gods.

jack :help:

Sounds like a normal day that Fiery. What you describe's been pretty run of the mill everyday intrusions I get after a bit of a slurp.

There was one time though after my thirtieth birthday, I'd had a really heavy 2 weeks and I got something that was more like alcoholic poisoning, proper physical collapse. It was like the lethal injection man I was convulsing and changing colour. It felt like my bed was an old sedan with no suspension being driven through the Afghan hills during a bombing raid.

Ever since that little episode I've made a point of sleeping every fourth day.

Cheers

Archived