After 17 Years, Carousel Up for Sale; After 1 Month, So Is Ice

elef

Pattaya Ghost

28-08-2008

After 17 Years, Carousel Up for Sale; After 1 Month, So Is Ice

"In what many are calling the worst low season Pattaya has seen in a decade, new and owners alike are deciding that now is the time to get out, as evidenced by the latest two big-name bars to go on the market, 17-year-old Carousel Club A Go-Go and month-old coyote bar Ice.

While neither Carouselâ??s founding owner Enrico and Iceâ??s boss Eddie said that this yearâ??s killer low season is the reason theyâ??re selling up, both admit that this year has been much slower than expected.

â??I wish someone had told me before we opened it was this dead,â? Eddie said.

Age and illness are the primary factors behind 69-year-old Enrico looking for a â??successorâ? to the Soi Diamond go-go. In his privately placed ad, Enrico said the bar could be purchased outright for 18 million baht or 15 million baht, payable in two installments, to enter the business as a 49% minority partner until 2010, at which point the three-year lease comes up for renewal. Enrico said the last lease required key money of 1.8 million baht with monthly rent at 90,000 baht. The large bar was recently renovated and seats 96. Five very prime (and currently unused) nightlife-related Internet domain names also come with the sale."

---

"Observers say itâ??s been even worse for Ice on Soi LK Metro. Since its July 21 opening, the bar has struggled badly. Neighboring business owners report the bar is empty for much of every evening while, just a block away, the similarly styled Club Blu has been packing in the crowds.

â??Ice is a very nice, new coyote club â?¦ but it has been almost dead since it opened,â? â??Mulphy,â? owner of the nearly adjacent The Rock House bar wrote Wednesday on the Pattaya Live message board. â??I can testify to that, seeing it with my own eyes nightly.â?Â

Despite its short history and low turnover, Eddie has listed the Golden Homes property brokers at 12 million baht. In fact, the bar went on the market only two weeks after opening, but not due to poor earnings, Eddie said. â??This is what I did back in the U.K.,â? he said. â??I get a property, fix it up and sell it off.â? "

More

Pretty high prices for 2 bars not making a lot of money....but what do I know...I'm sure there are many folks who [color:red]think[/color] they can run a bar and make lots of money.

That 'think' word might be most important!

18 million baht is more than half a million US dollars. Wonder what the payback time is on that?

2 more for sale

"Sexy a-Go-Go - This small Soi 7 go-go bar was listed on a Pattaya investments website for 2.3 million baht.

Papagayo - Yet another coyote bar, this one on Soi Diana. Thought to be for sale for some time. Listed on an investments website for 8.8 million baht."

Link

Archived