State of Emergency

waerth

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

Okay, Sis-in-law states just now that there is also a curfew going into effect. Supposedly the curfew will run from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. until further notice. Everything I have seen so far tell of the emergency decree and the no gatherings larger than 5 people, but nothing on the English language news sites mention this supposed curfew. What is the true scoop on this curfew thing?

Cent

KS,

Yes, interesting, and I do not believe a word of it. Of course the anti-PAD protesters were let into BKK and the police let them clash with the PAD people just so this Emergency Decree could be placed in effect so Samak could bring in the forces to eject PAD from the government house and other areas they congregate to protest. It is so obvious as the nose on one's face this is what was done and planned to have happen. It was a set-up and planned and endorsed by the PPP and the police supporters of PPP and the government.

It was bound to happen though. The stalemate could not go on forever and Samak needs some excuse to finally clamp down on the protests. This is it.

Cent

As far as I have gathered now there is no curfew in place .... yet. Samak specifically said life will go on as normal for most people.

If he announces a curfew that will surely make more Bangkokians reach boiling stage. Even though there is a state of emergency he cannot really send in the troops in my opinion as that will make for a very nasty episode that will backfire on him.

Waerth

I don't see it that way. All Samak had to do was go ahead with the court order to arrest the leaders if he wished this result. But when that started turning violent, Samak backed off very quickly and left them totally alone to do whatever they want. The state of emergency is a prudent measure given the circumstances. In fact, I think they continue to be way too lenient. Never in the world have I witnessed such tolerance for the hooliganism we are seeing. This is very bad for Thailand.

And I think Samak needed to come out and explicitly say what he did because otherwise people would hear a protestor died and assume it was the hand of the police when it was not. Remember, Samak is already heavily accused of using "force" even though I don't have the slightest idea what people are talking about who say that.

(BangkokPost.com) - The Election Commission (EC) announced Tuesday its decision to recommend the dissolution of the People Power party (PPP) for complicity in vote-buying by a party executive member Yongyuth Tiyapairat in the Dec 23 general election.

EC secretary-general Sutthipol Thaweechaikarn said that the vote was unanimous.

He added that the case will be forwarded to the attorney-general, who will be asked to forward the case to the Constitution Court within 30 days.

If the attorney-general thinks differently, the two agencies will form a joint committee to review the case.

The EC began considering the PPP's dissolution after the Constitution Court ruled early July that Mr Yongyuth, former PPP deputy leader, bought votes in last year's general election and disqualified him.

I don't see it that way. All Samak had to do was go ahead with the court order to arrest the leaders if he wished this result. But when that started turning violent, Samak backed off very quickly and left them totally alone to do whatever they want. The state of emergency is a prudent measure given the circumstances. In fact, I think they continue to be way too lenient. Never in the world have I witnessed such tolerance for the hooliganism we are seeing. This is very bad for Thailand.

And I think Samak needed to come out and explicitly say what he did because otherwise people would hear a protestor died and assume it was the hand of the police when it was not. Remember, Samak is already heavily accused of using "force" even though I don't have the slightest idea what people are talking about who say that.

Neo,

Oh, I am not saying it was unnecessary, just misguided. Samak needs a reason to justify him declaring these emergency powers. Something violent was needed to show that these protests needed to be shut down. I do believe it was a set-up and has been planned for a while to happen if and when it was truly necessary. And it did look like the police did little to keep the anti-PAD protesters from being able to clash with the PAD protesters. The resulting violence and death and destruction and mayhem worked and now emergency rule is declared which has provisions to eject protesters from government buildings and any place they disrupt normal flow of traffic and business. Samak needed this to happen, and by god it did when he needed it most. I do not believe this was a coincidence, Neo, not by a long shot. :smirk: It was finally time for Samak to play his hand. He has been hamstrung all along due to his earlier history with this stuff, and although I believe he really wants to just go in and clean house this has left him hogtied to an extent and he needed to have some obvious reason to do the emergency decree thing to be able to stop the PAD protests. By stepping up their actions (invading government house) the PAD actually played into his hands and delivered him the means and opportunity to let his dogs loose. Do you seriously believe the police, with all their numbers present or possible to have been present, could not have stopped this clash last night from getting as ugly and deadly as it did?

It was an obvious set-up, in my opinion.

Cent

(BangkokPost.com) - The Election Commission (EC) announced Tuesday its decision to recommend the dissolution of the People Power party (PPP) for complicity in vote-buying by a party executive member Yongyuth Tiyapairat in the Dec 23 general election.

EC secretary-general Sutthipol Thaweechaikarn said that the vote was unanimous.

He added that the case will be forwarded to the attorney-general, who will be asked to forward the case to the Constitution Court within 30 days.

If the attorney-general thinks differently, the two agencies will form a joint committee to review the case.

The EC began considering the PPP's dissolution after the Constitution Court ruled early July that Mr Yongyuth, former PPP deputy leader, bought votes in last year's general election and disqualified him.

There we go. I predict a new election will be called for sometime after the 1st of the year by late October/early November. PPP will be disbanded and some members will not be able to run for government posts for five years. A new TRT/PPP party will be put in place to run once again with new members in key positions. What remains to be seen is what the electorate will do this time in the elections.

Cent

Archived