cern and blackholes

Guest baldrick

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

yes i'm sure we're safe from cern armageddon. look if you want another protracted us good versus us bad with all the usual suspects then go ahead.

It is speculated that this "device" may prove String theory. Have you read about String theory - talk about bizarre, 12 dimensions, parallel universes...

I read about a third of one of Hawking's books - it contained so many ifs, perhaps, it is theorized.. in it that I began to wonder if Physicists have a clue at all...

The point of the SHC is to prove the basics (the standard model) by evidencing the existence of the Higgs-Boson. It is the one piece of the puzzle missing, which would prove the standard model and allow certainties to be used for future theorising.

I'm not a huge fan of string theory and I hope the SHC gives us enough to make some considerable alterations to it.

No ones seen the Higgs-Boson, that's why there are "ifs". It's why the damn thing was built, to prove the "ifs". We are talking about something which gives all matter mass. It's quite a big thing, if you think about it....

Physicists are in the dark and seeking a theory of everything. The SHC is a step to understanding and answering some fundamental questions about the existence of the universe (I imagine it will pose quite a few too). I'm very excited and hope it does provide masses of data and isn't a damp squib. It's certainly being hyped up! My fear is that it isn't powerful enough.

Archived