cern and blackholes

Guest baldrick

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just by Jews ... and you can't trust them. :)

<< Before Tacitus, Suetonius or Josephus, Thallus wrote about the crucifixion of Jesus. His writing date to circa 52 A.D. and the passage on Jesus was contained in Thallus' work on the Eastern Mediterranean world from the Trojan War to 52 A.D. Thallus noted that darkness fell on the land at the time of the crucifixion. He wrote that such a phenomenon was caused by an eclipse. Though Christ was not proclaimed a deity until the fourth century, Pliny the Younger, a Roman author and administrator who served as the governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor, wrote in 112 A.D., two hundred years before the "deity" proclamation, that Christians in Bithynia worshipped Christ. >>

http://sonic.net/sentinel/naij3.html

Thallus (historian)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thallus was a historian who wrote in Greek. It is uncertain when he wrote, but it was probably in the early 2nd century[1]. His works are all lost, but a few fragments have reached us in later Ancient and Medieval writers. The most interesting of these is a possible reference to the darkness at the time of the execution of Christ.

---

[edit] Early Christian use of Thallus

The 9th century Christian chronologer George Syncellus cites Julius Africanus as writing in reference to the darkness mentioned in the synoptic gospels as occurring at the death of Jesus:

Thallus calls this darkness an eclipse of the Sun in the third book of his Histories, without reason it seems to me.

Africanus then goes on to point out that an eclipse cannot occur at Passover when the moon is full and therefore diametically opposite the Sun.

wikipedia

------------

Sextus Julius Africanus

Jump to: navigation, search

Sextus Julius Africanus, was a Christian traveller and historian of the early 3rd century AD. He was possibly born in Libya, though he calls himself a native of Jerusalem, which some scholars take as his hometown.[1] He may have served under Septimius Severus against the Osrhoenians in 195. Little is known of his personal history, except that he lived at Emmaus, and that he went on an embassy to the emperor Elagabalus to ask for the restoration of the town, which had fallen into ruins. His mission succeeded, and Emmaus was henceforward known as Nicopolis. Dionysius bar Salibi says he was a bishop, but the author of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article doubts that he was even a presbyter.

----

Writings

He wrote a history of the world (Chronografiai, in five books) from Creation to the year AD 221, covering, according to his computation, 5723 years. He calculated the period between Creation and Jesus as 5500 years, placing the Incarnation on the first day of AM 5501 (our modern March 25, 1 BC), according to Venance Grumel, La Chronologie (1958). This method of reckoning led to several Creation eras being used in the Greek Eastern Mediterranean, which all placed Creation within one decade of 5500 BC.

The history, which had an apologetic aim, is no longer extant, but copious extracts from it are to be found in the Chronicon of Eusebius, who used it extensively in compiling the early episcopal lists. There are also fragments in George Syncellus, Cedrenus and the Chronicon Paschale. Eusebius (Church History i. 7; vi. 31) gives some extracts from his letter to one Aristides, reconciling the apparent discrepancy between Matthew and Luke in the genealogy of Christ by a reference to the Jewish law of Levirate marriage, which compelled a man to marry the widow of his deceased brother, if the latter died without issue. His terse and pertinent letter to Origen impugning the authority of the part of the Book of Daniel that tells the story of Susanna, and Origen's wordy and uncritical answer, are both extant.

wikipedia

------------

Origen

Jump to: navigation, search

For the 5th century Jewish physician from Alexandria with a similar name, see Adamantius.

For the the Spanish Rock Band Origen, see Origen (Spanish Rock Band).

Origen, Christian church father and philosopherOrigen Christian Philosophy

Ante-Nicene Fathers

Full name Origen

Birth ca. 185 (Alexandria, Egypt)

Death ca. 254 (Caesarea Maritima, Israel)

School/tradition Platonic

Influenced by[show]

Bible, Plato

Influenced[show]

School of Alexandria

Origen (Greek: ὨÃÂιγένηÃ? Ã…?rigénÄ?s, or Origen Adamantius, ca. 185â??ca. 254) was an early Christian scholar, theologian, and one of the most distinguished of the early fathers of the Christian Church. According to tradition, he is held to have been an Egyptian[1] who taught in Alexandria, reviving the Catechetical School of Alexandria where Clement of Alexandria had taught. The patriarch of Alexandria at first supported Origen but later expelled him for being ordained without the patriarch's permission. He relocated to Caesarea Maritima and died there[2] after being tortured during a persecution.

Using his knowledge of Hebrew, he produced a corrected Septuagint.[3] He wrote commentaries on all the books of the Bible.[3] In Peri Archon (First Principles), he articulated the first philosophical exposition of Christian doctrine.[3] He interpreted scripture allegorically and showed himself to be a Neo-Pythagorean, and Neo-Platonist.[3] Like Plotinus, he wrote that the soul passes through successive stages of incarnation before eventually reaching God.[3] He imagined even demons being reunited with God. For Origen, God was the First Principle, and Christ, the Logos, was subordinate to him.[3] His views of a hierarchical structure in the Trinity, the temporality of matter, "the fabulous preexistence of souls," and "the monstrous restoration which follows from it" were declared anathema in the 6th century.[4]

Link

As a side note, I'm also hoping that the SHC reveals enough about the workings of the universe to rid us all of religion.

Albert Einstein, ""My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

And your religion is...?

Anyone read "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. In the novel, a brilliant Physicist working at CERN, who also happens to be a Catholic Priest, "proves" the existence of God. I found the first half of the novel to be excellent and the 2nd half to be somewhat entertaining.

You are aware "Angels and Demons" is a work of fiction....

Einstein did not believe in a god as defined by the various faiths. He saw wonder in the complexity of the universe. As such he didn't belong to any religion, but saw a superior intellect at work. He was also a pacifist and anti-nationalistic notions...the antithesis of such people as RY, further evidence of how intellectually retarded those of the right wing religious camp are.

Some other quotes;

There is no personal God.

The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously. [Letter of 1946, Hoffman and Dukas]

What I cannot understand is how there could possibly be a God who would reward or punish his subjects or who could induce us to develop our will in our daily life. I cannot then believe in this concept of an anthropomorphic God who has the powers of interfering with these natural laws. [The Private Albert Einstein]

The man who is thoroughly convinced of the universal operation of the law of causation cannot for a moment entertain the idea of a being who interferes in the course of events - provided, of course, that he takes the hypothesis of causality really seriously. [New York Times Magazine November 9, 1930]

The more a man is imbued with the ordered regularity of all events the firmer becomes his conviction that there is no room left by the side of this ordered regularity for causes of a different nature. For him neither the rule of human nor the rule of divine will exists as an independent cause of natural events.

[science, Philosophy, and Religion, A Symposium]

There is no freedom of will or separate soul.

In human freedom in the philosophical sense I am definitely a disbeliever. Everybody acts not only under external compulsion but also in accordance with inner necessity. [The World as I See It]

But the scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation. The future, to him, is every whit as necessary and determined as the past. There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair. [The World As I See It]

Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seems to me to be empty and devoid of meaning. [Letter of 5 February 1921]

There is no afterlife or punishment for sins after death.

An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls. [The World as I See It]

If this being is omnipotent, then every occurrence, including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards He would to a certain extent be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?

[Out of My Later Years]

Prayer is useless.

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of nature, and therefore this holds for the actions of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a

wish addressed to a supernatural Being. [Einstein - The Human Side]

It's all very simple. The Bible and early Christian documents cannot be trusted, since the Romans didn't write about Jesus.

On the other hand, Muhammad existed because nobody but the Arabs wrote about him.

In the same way, no one existed in North or South American history, since NOBODY wrote about them.

p.s. Fortunately, I have been interviewed, written about, and appeared on the TV in the States. Therefore, I know I really do exist!!!

:yay::yay:

He maybe existed - personally I think so but not the Jesus we find in the Bible - but there's no proof.

Mohammed lived 600 years later, there's no proof either of his existence but IMO he existed and he was closer to the person we have been told about as he wrote the book himself.

Archived