High end laptops

gobbledonk

Hi All,

Have resisted the urge for a long time (OK, 12 months ..) but some of the 'Media Centre' 17-inch laptops they are making now blow my tiny mind. Even with a worsening exchange rate, many of them can be had for less than 3K AUD : the same level of equipment was often double that a few years back.

Anyhoo, I thought that one of you may have lashed out on something of this nature recently, and be willing to share your impressions. The kind of machine I am talking about has specs along these lines:

- Intel Core 2 Duo (at least 2.3GHz and preferably Centrino 2)

- 3GB RAM or better(4GB is overkill on a 32-bit machine, but I guess we'll get more gen-u-ine 64-bit apps one day)

- 320 GB or better hard drive (terabyte in a laptop, anyone ?)

- decent graphics (GeForce 8600M GT or better)

- TV Tuner card

- Blu-Ray drive

Watching TV on your laptop is great if you are sitting close enough to the aerial connection thats currently plugged into, you guessed it, your TV ! Arrgghh ! Happy to hear from someone who has found a plug-in aerial that does a reasonable job.

The other issue is that the component listing doesn't tell the whole story - I've seen benchmarks where two almost identical machines from different manufacturers have very different 3D scores, for example. Little cost-cutting efforts at Acme Computers can mean tears when you realise that yours is the only laptop on the shelf that struggles with 'Solitaire' (cure: install Windows XP straight over the top of Vista..)

Finally, if you are playing Crysis with everything set to 'High', please PM me with your address so I can come over and watch the lights dim in your 'burb when you power that thing on.

Cheers,

Gobble

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zzzz, I have one of the EEE PC's competitors, the Acer Aspire One, and I am very happy with it. Something you cannot do with either machine, however, is depicted here:

Frightening to think that you need to shell out this kind of money to get some of the current games to play at 100%, but I guess thats showbiz.

Gobble

Yes it is scary the amount of money you have to put into upgrading your gaming equipment...

For games I use an alienware laptop as until recently I was able to get good "prices" for this.

Unfortunately this is no longer the case and I will have to pay the next one which will cost quite a bit

if I buy it by myself.

I presume an Apple MacBook Pro is not interesting for you

My 2.2GHz MBP survived 2 months in LOS, often perched precariously on the bed or on someone's knees, only to succumb to my stupidity when I came back to Oz. Coke has never done much for keyboards, but the rest of the machine still works really well . The real bargain the current Mac range is the iMac, IMO : granted, not a laptop but not the usual box+monitor desktop machine either. The problem is that I would still need to pay retail for a copy of Vista to run Direct X10 games using Bootcamp on an Intel Mac. Micro$oft are still charging an obscene amount of money for Vista here - OS X 'Leopard' retails for $150 and there is none of the 'Homo Basic'/'Homo Premium'/Homo Horribilis' crap ....

One of the guys I worked with a few months back has a current-gen iMac, and the image quality on that screen is streets ahead of anything in the Macbook/MBP range, although they are offering 'higher resolution' upgrades for the MBP on the Apple Store site.

If I were to purchase an Apple, I believe that the 'base' 24-inch iMac with the upgraded video card would do the job nicely, coming in a shade under 3K AUD:

# 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2 GB

# 320GB Serial ATA Drive

# NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3

Still no sign of Blu-Ray being offered as an option tho, and that money will get you a similar spec machine (albeit with Windoze) from another manufacturer, complete with said Blu-Ray drive installed. Check out Youtube for lots of videos of folk playing current games on Intel Macs - just dont know if I can bring myself to pay cash for a boxed copy of Vista. :(

Gobble

I presume an Apple MacBook Pro is not interesting for you

My 2.2GHz MBP survived 2 months in LOS, often perched precariously on the bed or on someone's knees, only to succumb to my stupidity when I came back to Oz. Coke has never done much for keyboards, but the rest of the machine still works really well . The real bargain the current Mac range is the iMac, IMO : granted, not a laptop but not the usual box+monitor desktop machine either. The problem is that I would still need to pay retail for a copy of Vista to run Direct X10 games using Bootcamp on an Intel Mac. Micro$oft are still charging an obscene amount of money for Vista here - OS X 'Leopard' retails for $150 and there is none of the 'Homo Basic'/'Homo Premium'/Homo Horribilis' crap ....

One of the guys I worked with a few months back has a current-gen iMac, and the image quality on that screen is streets ahead of anything in the Macbook/MBP range, although they are offering 'higher resolution' upgrades for the MBP on the Apple Store site.

If I were to purchase an Apple, I believe that the 'base' 24-inch iMac with the upgraded video card would do the job nicely, coming in a shade under 3K AUD:

# 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2 GB

# 320GB Serial ATA Drive

# NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3

Still no sign of Blu-Ray being offered as an option tho, and that money will get you a similar spec machine (albeit with Windoze) from another manufacturer, complete with said Blu-Ray drive installed. Check out Youtube for lots of videos of folk playing current games on Intel Macs - just dont know if I can bring myself to pay cash for a boxed copy of Vista. :(

Gobble

I am sitting in front of 24" iMac. It's a great machine and the screen is fantastic albeit a little bit glossy on a sunny day with the sun in my back.

I need Windows as well (for MS Access) and I made the mistake to choose Vista Home Premium with Parallels. In this combination Vista is extremley slow. In hindsigight I should have chosen WinXP Prof.

Archived