High end laptops

gobbledonk

True the perfomance gap between laptops and desktops is very narrow.

One of my ex colleague owned a laptop which was running crysis better than all desktops except one which was specifically dedicated to performance benchmarks...

Yes, what are the blue lights???

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant comment on Baron's blue lights, but the HP has a strip of them at the top of the keyboard - they are touch-sensitive controls for things like sound volume, activing wireless, controlling DVDs etc. Its a bit gimmicky, but they do look good and it beats wading through Vista (aaargghh) trying to find the Control Panel applet needed to turn on your wireless connection.

True the perfomance gap between laptops and desktops is very narrow.

The performance gab might have become more narrow, but what's the price for an high end notebook again?

PS: While you discuss 17" notebooks I am looking for 26" LCD monitor. They are becoming cheaper every month.

:)

The performance gap might have become more narrow, but what's the price for an high end notebook again?

For the exotic stuff like Drogon's Alienware (or their Voodoo competitors), you will pay 5K plus in Oz, but the majority of current consumer laptops remain a steal at between 2 and 3K for machines with a good combination of CPU/RAM/Graphics. My estimate is that we are still paying 500-800 dollars more for a laptop over a comparable desktop, but many of the off-the-shelf desktops come with very ordinary LCDs, ugly cases and untidy wiring. We've always paid a high price for portability, but it was often double the price of a similarly specced desktop in years gone by.

At the other end of the scale, its astounding what you can get for under a grand in the Oz laptop market at the moment if all you want is an internet device with basic productivity apps, and I'm not talking UMPCs. As long as the resource boom holds up, and Taiwan keeps pumping them out, folk look set to keep buying the little buggers.

Gobble

custom high end notebook?

3-4K euros = 150-200K bht...

I far prefer my PC rather than the notebook to play games or to watch movies especially the monitor

:beer:

IMHO: If you don't absolutely need a powerful laptop then don't waste your money and buy a good PC.

If running Vista try running a Windows Experience Index base score test, these are the figures from my 12 month old HP Pavilion dv9500. Memory is only 2GB so I could crank that value up if I needed to and Primary Hard Disc transfer rate is not too bad for a Laptop.

The base score represents the overall performance of your system as a whole, based on the capabilities of different parts of your computer, including random access memory (RAM), central processing unit (CPU), hard disk, general graphics performance on the desktop, and 3â??D graphics capability.

Here are general descriptions of the kind of experience you can expect from a computer that receives the following base scores:

A computer with a base score of 1 or 2 usually has sufficient performance to do most general computing tasks, such as run office productivity applications and search the Internet. However, a computer with this base score is generally not powerful enough to run Windows Aero, or the advanced multimedia experiences that are available with Windows Vista.

A computer with a base score of 3 is able to run Windows Aero and many new features of Windows Vista at a basic level. Some of the new Windows Vista advanced features might not have all of their functionality available. For example, a machine with a base score of 3 can display the Windows Vista theme at a resolution of 1280 Ã? 1024, but might struggle to run the theme on multiple monitors. Or, it can play digital TV content but might struggle to play High Definition Television (HDTV) content.

A computer with a base score of 4 or 5 is able to run all new features of Windows Vista with full functionality, and it is able to support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3â??D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content. Computers with a base score of 5 were the highest performing computers available when Windows Vista was released.

The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improves, higher base scores will be introduced. However, the standards for each level of the index stay the same. For example, a computer scored as a 2.8 should remain a 2.8 unless you decide to upgrade the computer's hardware.

70K THB Sept 07 with a free 250 GB Seagate External HDD thrown in.

I have a custom made PC. I had it built with high quality parts I choose after consulting some PC geeks on a web board. The price tag was 1.200 Euro (I presume the price would be the same in USD or even less). But my aim was not a high end gaming machine, but a highly reliable, low noise work horse for common software and use.

Archived