High end laptops

gobbledonk

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

70K THB Sept 07 with a free 250 GB Seagate External HDD thrown in.

Scary stuff - when I do the currency conversion, thats very close to the price I paid for mine yesterday, and he threw in a 250GB HP external drive : must be a glut of the things clogging up their inventory :)

My Windoze Experience Index came out at 5.0 overall, but I regard most things Micro$oft tell me as being marketing rather than hard technical data. I need to get my hands on PCMark and 3DMark and run those. An hour or so of F.E.A.R, a 3-year old game, convinced me that the laptop is great on medium settings, but going higher results only leads to the game freezing up. For that matter, there are times when Vista seems to be taking an eternity to do mundane tasks which would be instantaneous under XP or Linux ('open File Manager, Hal' ...) - on a machine with 4GB. Given some of the reports I've seen on Vista, I guess I should be happy that it does anything at all. :smirk:

[]iIMHO: If you don't absolutely need a powerful laptop then don't waste your money and buy a good PC[/i]

Forget that - this is my fantasy machine, and all I need is $30,475 plus the money for a rack and dedicated aircon :

Mac Pro to rule them all:

* Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

* 32GB (8x4GB)

* Mac Pro RAID Card

* 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s

* 4 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

* Two 16x SuperDrives

* Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

* Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

* Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse

* Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + User's Guide

* AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

* None

* Dual Channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express Card

* None

* None

* AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

Dont ask me how I'm going to actually *use* 2 30" displays, but its a fantasy, so why hold back ?

At work I use 3 screens but they are not 30 inches...

How can this reach such a price???

The best desktop I bought cost me "only" 3K $

(excluding the screen of course) and it is still able to run crysis on max settings with a top framerate....

Do you have more details about this "dream" machine please?

Drogon,

Go to the Aussie version of the Apple Store:

Apple Store Australia

Click on the 'Mac Pro' icon, then click 'Configure' on the resulting page. You can mix and match components, and the Javascript in the page will gleefully update your total price. I havent tried the same combo on the US site, as I know that the price would be substantially cheaper, despite:

a. the Aussie dollar being reasonably close to the greenback in value, at least prior to the recent run on the Yankee (from .96 to .83 in a heartbeat.. thanks, GWB)

b. Oz being a lot closer to the various Asian factories than the West Coast of the US. Yeah, I know - market forces, competition, supply and demand, yada yada ...

Shouldn't need to update for a few years.

Well, there is 'need to' and 'want to', Faustian. :smirk:

Manufacturers are very good at dribbling out new features to lure us back into the fray before we really 'need to', although I will give Apple kudos for continuing support for the older G4/G5 machines way longer than many other manufacturers would have.

When I look at the Blu-Ray drive in my HP, I really have to ask myself if it was worth the premium I paid for it - it was the old 'pay a little more now and you wont kick yourself later'. With the local Apple guy telling me that his best guestimate was '6 months' before Apple would offer Blu-Ray drives in the iMac, I now find myself back in Windoze territory. Chalk one up to slick marketing, timing and pretty pictures. I need to get a DVD like 'Last of the Mohicans' to really enjoy what I have : watching '30 Days of Night' and playing F.E.A.R. and Prey make me long for something a little less draining.

Archived